Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Accordion for the blues

Blues de Voyage
Drunkard's Blues

But I do not believe these are the types of blues Chuck was talking about. These are primarily blues because of the shuffle rhythm.

I was able to transcribe a Rockin' Sydney blues tune to the single row, in a limited way, but was surprised I got as much as I did. Original was on piano accordion. Called "Blues in June", off the Zydeco Stomp cd.

There's another tune out there called "C-Key Blues", might have been on the Kingdom of Zydeco cd, but I'm not sure. I'm not sure that it was on a single row, but it sounded like it.

I think these are closer to "blues", and I'm assuming that's what Chuck was thinking too, but I can't speak for Chuck.

Seems I've heard some blues tunes on a Zydeco Force cd just recently, and sounded like it was on the single row.

Oh, and, hey BuFraw. Long time.

duh-wite

Re: Accordion for the blues

Seems to me, every instrument has a limitation, but it becomes obvious when you substitute one instrument for another. You can't really get a piano to do the kinds of things you can do on guitar, and I think that's the essence of the problem with trying to get a harmonica to do accordion licks - or the other way around. Blues on the accordion IS limited if you focus on trying to get it do sound like something else. For me, G on a C box works for what I call up beat blues (Midnight Special, Sweet Home Chigaco genre), and D on a C box works on the down home, gritty stuff (Dust My Broom, Come Into My Kitchen genre). No instrument is good for everything all the time, but I think sometimes we limit ourselves to preconcieved notions too much. Just an opinion.
Steve

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!