Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Travis Matte

Travis has been discussed in this forum before (almost verbatim). There's a lot of music fans that like Travis... there's a lot that don't. The irony is, Wayne Toups thinks Travis is finally doing something different -- other than "cookie cutter" music. These are Travis' words, not mine. But I do agree. Toups showed up at one of Travis' gigs a couple of years ago to tell him "thanks for doing something different."

Retrospective:
Travis Matte and Jason Frey -- great traditional duo that cut an awesome CD. But if Travis and Jason were still kickin' the same way today (had Travis not deviated from the standard recipe), do you *really* think he'd be breaking attendance records at every venue that books him? Doubt it.

Travis is smart -- yeah he takes some chances with music AND lyrics; but that is why he's reached the white 20-something crowd. A lot of them wouldn't have even considered going to see a band led by an accordion, much less any band with the word "zydeco" in it. They'd be listening to their Green Day, Rascal Flatts or Mariah Carey CDs. Nothing wrong with those artists, mind you -- hey I happen to really like Akon, Eminem, Nelly, 50 Cent and Beyonce -- check their lyrics -- you might think Travis is pretty mild.

But that's what I'm getting at. Travis is sticking a wedge into the regional S.LA music playlist -- and that's smart. It's also good for pop music.

Now many traditional Cajun music fans will roll their eyes and sneer at what Travis is doing. Fine. Let them. He's not after *their* admiration. Likewise, many Keith Frank, J.Paul and Chris Ardoin fans that know what is really going on with the Creole zydeco scene isn't going to think Travis is a contender.

Only time will tell. When Toups hit the scene, there were a lot of Cajuns and Creoles alike that thought he was from another planet. But history shows that the artists that break away from the cookie mold have a way of changing -- or at least making a mark on the genres they are pigeon-holed into. Travis is not an amazing accordionist -- not the virtuoso that Toups is/was, but Travis can surely invent a hook.

You don't have to like Travis Matte's music. But one thing is for certain, there's no escaping it.

R!CK

Re: Travis Matte

First heard Travis Matte last year, blasting out of a pickup truck, while waiting for the Mardi Gras parade in Church Point (his home town). Didn't even hear Vibrator or Booty Call till I bought the CDs. I know those two songs drew a lot of people to the band, but the newest CD seems to be filled with challengers. Remember Happy Days? Everybody liked the Fronz, and the audience went nuts when he entered a scene. But they started overusing him and it just wasn't that big a deal anymore. There's a lot to be said for the idea of wait for it... wait for it... wait for it. Not a prude by any means, but I hope the next CD covers more territory like the first two did. And if there's a contender or two for Vibrator on there, more power to him. It is interesting, though, that people seem to either really love him or really hate him. That in itself is not a bad thing.
Steve

Re: Re: Travis Matte

Yeah,

I think Rick's right. I don't care for the songwriting at all, but Travis isn't after traditionalists like me.

This scene needs the kids to survive. Sure his songs are basically Cajun pop, but sometimes that's the best intro to the hard core Cajun and Zydeco stuff.

Nick B.

Re: Re: Re: Travis Matte

I agree. There is a guy who visits this forum from time to time who makes hip hop in Cajun. Not my bag anymore than Travis is, but if it keeps the young ones interested, I hope there are more just like them to. Might cause more to be interested in saving the language. Maybe those young ones will later learn to appreciate traditional Cajun.

Besides all that, a musicians gotta make what he wants to, and those who like it will listen, the rest of us will listen to something else. I couldnt imagine playing music I didnt want to just to make a listener happy.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Travis Matte

Listened to Travis's website bump of 'Vibrator' for the first time last night, and laughted out loud! Great images! The guy does have a way with lyric writing and a very calm singing voice delivery that does not put you on the defensive. He also, at least in my estimation, did a good job taking 'Tes Parents Veulent Plus Me Voir' and converting it into English (Your Daddy Don't Like Me). Not an exact translation and not as much drive as the Mamou Playboys version, but the motive is the same.
JB

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!