Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Dancemaster accordions

I heard a Dancemaster accordion demo online, when I was shopping for a B/C Irish-style 2-row box. I posted an inquiry on the Yahoo Irish accordion board, and got two answers, which I've copied in here:

(1) I have been playing around 2 years, mostly on old Hohners, especially a battered one-row in D, but also a very well set up C/G. I now have a Learners Box, C#/D, but I have tried out a Learners B/C. They are both a little easier to play than the Hohners and very solid beginner boxes. I have tried the B/C Dancemaster Alex and his
assessment is spot on. The keyboard is quite fast and nice. It sounds
good too, but I suspect the better reeds might sound a bit better.
Either box would be solid for the price, but I'd give the nod to the
Dancemaster. Of course once you go over about $1500 you probably get
a much better box, but these cheaper ones will play for you for some
time.

(2)No objections to commenting here.
>
>The Dancemaster's tone is passable. If you get the standard Chinese
>reeds, it sounds okay. Not bad, but it's no Paolo Soprani.
>However, it plays like a dream. The action is split-second and so
>low you can actually effortlessly slide one finger from key to key.
>If you're looking for a starter box, you cannot do better.
>>

Re: Daancemaster accordions

Steve,

The so called Dancemaster "Cajun" accordion is without "any doubt" Chinese built.
Early last year I commented to Michael about some decorative inlays marquetry strips, witch were supposedly inlayed on the accordions face, "but" to me appeared to have been affixed on the accordion( as shown on Dancemaster's web site last year) using an adhesive backing on the strips to do so.
Crude, I guess, but I have inserted enough of the bona fide ones to know the difference.
Anyway, I posted my question to Michael on another accordion forum, and he answered me personnally,honestly about the strips rather then post en embarrassing one on that particular forum.
Admitedly,Dancemasters uses adhesive backed decorative strips .
So, the "Box" is undoubtly Chinese,
kind of crudely "decorated", and perhaps with less goodies as advertized "inside" .

Claude.

PS: The guy talks the talk, and seems to know about reed tuning, but so do a lot of other people

There's always posts about lower priced accordions, and there doesn't seems to be a lot of middle ground from Arietes and LA accordions. That's why I was curious about the Dancemaster. I know many people say to hold off and get the LA box, but I also know some people can't afford it. It seems the guy is really into accordions and not one of those places that try to sell you something some guy "hand carved" (like a Thankgiving turkey). Anyway, it would be nice to steer someone to a decent accordion if they can't go for the LA makers.
Steve

Re: Re: Daancemaster accordions

I've dealt with the Dancemaster person mentioned in the past. Knowledgeable, personable and found him a pleasure to deal with all around. Entry level Irish boxes, or Chinese Cajun boxes.. I think you will have a solid source of info for purchase and repairs.

G.

Re: Re: Daancemaster accordions

I don't feel right if I play cajun music on a Chinese made box, or Weltmeister, or Castagnari Max,or Hohner HA114 or whatever else one row manufactured boxes there is in the world.

At my last count 10.

Even if these different boxes are tuned Cajun.

But I would make an exception for the HA114.

the others dont look authentic, dont fit the mold, or the mood.

Just the same, if you want or anybody else for that matter wants to play folk music using a fiddle , they will.

Not a Violin mind you

Violins are for a different type of Music, not Folk.

What I'm saying is that every genre of music has for it's interpretation a particular style of instrument(s) tuned and made for that genre.

I find it difficult to associate Cajun accordion music with none other then LA made instruments.

And you know, if anyone is commited enough to play accordion cajun music, even with limited funds, they will find a way to purchase an instrument.

I just can't buy the ever surfacing argument that for some, money is to tight to purchase whatever they need to play a certain type of music.

I mean, they drive, they buy beer, fishing equipment, computer programs, games , stereos, cars, guns and so on.

Anyone who want to play Accordion Cajun Music and are serious about it, should buy an LA made box, period.

And for the few with real limited funds, then they unfortunatly will have to wait until they have saved enough.

And again I really encourage if it's at all possible to try an instrument before laying a lot of money on it, as you might found out that you dont like it.

Claude.

Claude.

Re: Re: Re: Daancemaster accordions

Not arguing with you, just a coup[le observations. Prior to Sydney Brown, nobody played an La box. I play out a lot, and would only consider using an Ariette is I was going to light it on fire during the last song. Once I knew I was Hell bent on the accordion, I upgraded. But having said that, I don't think it matters if you perform on stage every night, or sit in the living room knocking out tunes, we all have our version of getting serious.
Fiddle vs violin. Actually they do mean the same thing. The terms come from two family groups that identify the same instrument. Violin - Italian for little Viol, and fiddle from one of the Nordic languages (forget which one), tne decentant of the fidel. Over time, the terms became identified as specific to cetain music genres, not unlike Xerox became interchangable with phoyocopying. It's one of those things that if you say something wrong long enough, it must be true. One of my flaws is being obsessed by this kind of thing. People often misuse podium. You stand on a podium, you stand behind a lecturn. It's a losing battle. Oh well.
There's a story about a musician who filed a lawsuit for slander back in the 18oo's. Somebody wrote: the fiddler is a scoundrel. He sued for being called a fiddler.
Steve

Re: Re: Re: Re: Daancemaster accordions

I understand your point Steve but I am with Claude on this one. Early on I worked for minimum wages but pinched pennies to get what I wanted. A Louisiana made accordion.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Daancemaster accordions

I admire your pedantry, Steve - I've been similarly accused.
I agree with Claude re. accordions, but it didn't stop me wasting time and money going through the cheapo's. Sometimes you have to learn the hard way.

Someone told me the difference between a fiddle and a violin is that you can spill beer on a fiddle!

BJ

Fiddle, Violin. One and the same. How it is played makes the distinction. If names matter, then it is a Melodeon and not an Accordion.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!