Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Blues on the single row

Yeah, Beau was great. He never came to CA, so I never got to see him play, which is a big regret on my part.

Can you refresh my memory as to what blues songs he played on the single row? I remember some he did on the triple row.

-David

Re: Re: Re: Blues on the single row

Danny Collet is one of the best blues players on a single row I've ever sat next to. We'd jam for ten min. at a time at our last restaurant gig just for fun and he always amazed me with the variety he'd come up with. In the right hands, a single row is a hell of a blues instrument. Just not my hands. Give me a fiddle any day.
Layne Z.

Re: Re: Re: Blues on the single row

I agree -- Beau did some great 3-row/5-row blues... I guess I recall the single-row stuff live -- BUT -- the one single-row tune that comes to mind that he recorded was "Going To The Country" on his [Check it out, lock it in, crank it up] disc. Sparse and so nicely executed.

I was really lucky to have gotten to know Beau a little. I had dinner with him and Shelley on the Rounder Records tour when he came through Dallas back in... '95, I believe. He was truly one of the nicest Louisiana artists I ever had the opportunity to meet. His drummer, Skeeter, is also one of coolest people in the world. After dinner, Skeeter, Chuckie, Steve Riley, Alan Greeley and I partied hard. Man what a night that was!

http://www.mosquitogumbo.com/pic_musicians_mamourollers.jpg

Yeah, I was about 60 lbs heavier and had a crappy mustache back then...

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Blues on the single row

Hi Rick,

I forgot about that one - it's a good one all right. Pretty easy to play too. Even though it is quite a different style, it uses a lot of the same notes as "Richard's Club", which is one of Beau's tunes that I like to play.

I don't play slow blues very much, but I like the idea of adding this one to the repertoire for when requests come along.

-David

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!