Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Here's some ideas/suggestions ...

Hello S’b’B,

It sounds like your primary question is: “What my best resource to improve
my playing technique?”, right?

No matter what camp you select, you are going to learn something valuable
at these wonderful events.
(Heck, just associating with the professional musicians is inspiring and
motivating by itself.)

When someone like Steve teaches in a group, it is primarily to demonstrate how
to play specific tunes and some of the techniques used to perform the tune authentically.

Be sure to bring a recorder! Video gives the most bang for the buck! You’ll likely
keep the videos to study them for years to come

Charlie is an excellent musician. Paul is an excellent musician.

My guess is that getting some quality one-on-one time may be your most
beneficial opportunity regardless with whom.

When you get to either camp, be sure to get your name on the one-on-one
signup right away! Don’t wait, the list fills quickly!

Also, keep an eye on the list. People do drop off of it. It may be a good idea
to watch the instructor (at a distance) to see if they’re sitting idle because of
a no-show, and pop in then & ask if they’re free.

Prepare in advance. What are the songs that are giving you trouble?
Maybe, bring a copy of the original recording with you.
Play the tune for the instructor and ask what you need to do specifically
that will help your playing technique.

Record yourself playing the tune and compare it to how the instructor is playing
It. Do your own A/B analysis.
Where do I sound different? Why?

The band lab is useful, but not as much for personal technique!

Best of luck in your endeavors .. let us know what you decide. Hope this helps.

And, keep squeezin’!

--Big

Re: Balfa or Augusta? Torn between and seeking advice...

Big Nick has good advice.

Also,
If you would like more of an academic atmosphere, then Augusta is probably for you.

If you like a little less formal, and somewhat more "down-home" then Balfa is probably for you.

Both will benefit you without doubt no matter what your choice.

DP

Has anyone actually seen a final list of instructors and
classes for Balfa? The last I heard on the accordion side it was going to be Dirk Powell and Ray Abshire...but they didn't say which classes were being
taught by who...I haven't seen any have info on the fiddle instructors. I think Jeffery is teaching zydeco/creole accordion. Mark

Re: Re: Balfa or Augusta? Torn between and seeking advice...

Balfa camp has always had some kind of goofy delay with up to date posting of info for some odd reason!
What the heck??

Elkins seems to have a good grip on communicating the program fine and dandy... however I doubt seriously that I would ever return to Augusta.
Balfa, yes... Augusta unh unh, not the same.

Balfa is pricey, as it is... but I like to hinge that one on other opportunities (like visiting in and out of Louisiana on extended stay) like a short hop to Ft. Worth to visit the kids and some other side trips as well. Food is much better at Balfa (by far).... so are the skeeters.

Short commings I have found about Balfa and Augusta:
Jam sessions. They both are stinky when it comes to the inclussion of all levels of students and jamming (shaking my finger at both) shame shame shame. I have by far enjoyed the social values of Balfa (later yrs). Augusta had some dandy aquaintences (students)that I will miss.. but the program and staff has some issues to iron out in my estimation. I'd follow Goldman Thibodeaux wherever he roams (even if I have to drop by the house while close by) Both camps need this guy badly (IMO).

What else? Who I wish to find instructing (future):
New... Chris Miller, Jude Moreau, Jason Frey
Band dynamics... Ed Poullard, Al Berard & Faren Serrette
S. Riley in any capacity, is a great experience.
Senior elder guests... Goldman and the Romero Brothers

New format for a camp... Why not?... Cruise Ship - Week long -floating music camp teaching traditional and zydeco on the water of anywhere! Launched out of Louisiana or Texas. Could be an interesting inclussion for family members to partake in other fun aspects for such a concept (something for everyone)... I'd enjoy it so would Linda(we're cruising the hawaiian islands this May Ms. Linda, myself, brother-inlaw and Sister)should I take a uke?

Balfa ... what I should have simply said all along.
I will start re-attending in 2 yrs. myself.

Nonc U know who

I can't speak about Augusta because I haven't been there, but I did attend Balfa Camp last year. I thought it was fantastic and would highly recommend it! I am signed up again this year.
As with any student position you put yourself in, you're going to get out of camp what you put into it. Everyone attends camp for different reasons, and I felt like Balfa Camp had a place for everyone - for those who wanted to stay out partying and jamming until 4 am every night and skip morning class, that was fine, for those who wanted to turn in early and be fresh for morning class, that was fine. Some people come primarily for social reasons, some people are very serious about learning instruments. Remarkably, the way the camp is set up, both interests can co-exist without interfering with each other. I didn't play accordion last year, was there for fiddle, and will be there for fiddle again this year, too, at the rate my accordion is not showing up in the mail!!! Oh boy, I'm going to change the subject before I start crying about that one... Anyway, I found that the instructors were very willing to help. It sounds like you are serious about learning and so you will learn. I have only been playing accordion a short time and have only learned from Jeffery Broussard, who will be a staff instructor at Balfa again this year. If you can play a lot of songs at the level that you're describing, I know that Jeffery or someone like him could help you "rebuild" or "smooth out" the songs you know. That's kind of what he's done for me - I would learn a song from a recording of him playing it, play it for him, and he'd show me where I needed to fix something. (Again, this is all past tense, because I don't have an accordion!)
The location for Balfa Camp is really, really nice. There's something to be said for being in Louisiana to learn Louisiana music. There was also a lot of travel into various towns to go to dances during the week and see local bands. I didn't have a car there, but caught a ride with other campers on Saturday morning to go to Fred's in Mamou - that was at a time when nothing else was going on at camp. People left a lot of other times, but I wanted to stay around catch what camp had to offer, but it was nice to have the option.
Here's the list of instructors that Folk Roots said would be teaching this year at Balfa Camp, in the e-mail they sent out to those of us who have signed up:
The folks we have confirmed as full-time instructors so far are Ray Abshire, Al Berard, Jeffery Broussard, Jonno Frishberg, Christine Balfa
Powell, Dirk Powell and Ann Savoy.
---------
Happy choosing. I'm sure either camp you pick will suit your needs just fine.

Hey BN Steve,
Which one? That is a tough decision. I have been to both. I learned a lot from both the camps. But if I had my druthers, I would pick Balfa Camp, because of the closness of where I live. I learned a lot from both camps. So you can't go wrong with either camp.
Have a good time.
MarkS

Re: Re: Balfa or Augusta? Torn between and seeking advice...

Steve,

I think Balfa is really the best choice. There's no substitute for being "right in the middle of things"in SW Louisiana. You'll have a great time eating good food, jamming by the campfire, and freaking out about the red bug sores on your ankles.

It's a great place to meet people as well. There's a wide range of folks, so you're never bored.

I'm not going this year, but I'm definitely gonna miss the people and the late night jams.

Nick B

Merci...and the latest un-confirmed information

Thanks to everybody who has replied, I know it takes some time and thought. Balfa seems to be running ahead in the polls, but no bad choices.

I went to Augusta '99 and was in over my head in Dirk's intermediate class (but I learned a lot).

Anyway, I just talked to Marcia at the Louisiana Heritage office and Ray Abshire is going to teach an advanced class, Dirk Powell will be teaching intermediate, and Corey Ledet will be teaching Creole accordion. Jeffery Broussard is going to be teaching fiddle.

But...it's all not quite confirmed
S'b'B

Re: Merci...and the latest un-confirmed information

Is there a web-site for the Balfa workshop? Sounds like the type of instruction a budding young (63) accordion player really needs. Probably too late to sign up for this year, but will have more time next year, anyway. San Antonio and South Texas both leave something to be desired for Cajun accordion playing folks. Luckily, LA is not far away. Had lunch the other day with Bill Rosenthal, formally the accordion man of Swamp Angels. Good meeting. We're going to try to get together some Sunday evening at my place and see if we can get a group interested in kicking some tunes around.. Sheri Foster, Danny Fruge' , and Rick Edwards, if you are out there reading into this site, give me a heads-up. You are all three welcome, plus your spouses, significant others, and assorted band members. Can throw some steaks on the grill and more beer in the cooler.

How come when you play in front of any group of non-believers and neophytes, they all want to hear Jolie Blonde?

JB

not too late

JB - as of yesterday, it wasn't too late to sign up.

Try http://www.lafolkroots.org/newweb/dbcchw.htm

S'b'B

Re: not too late

I haven't done Augusta. My only experience was Balfa last year. Although I've heard great things about Augusta, I just can't imagine how you could replicate the ambiance of being "there" in the craddle of cajun music in Ville Plate. Something is to be said about the Louisiana Folks Roots Fest going on at the same time, on the same site, which gives you the opportunity to see some of the finest bands and dance the night out until you head to the late/early morning jams by the bond fire. You can also escape the camp and tour around the other towns. We took the opportunity to visit Fred's Lounge in Mamou, drop by some shop to get some boudin, visit the Savoy music centre in Eunice, visit Larry Miller's shop in Iaota, spend a memorable night at Blue Moon Saloon in Lafayette, and many more great memories and interactions. I wouldn't worry about your level. The idea is to get there, immerse yourself, watch and record the masters play, and improve from wherever you are.
I'm not going this year unfortunately... I have other conflicting projects and I had to sacrifice this year's camp. I hope I make it next year. Maz

Re: Re: not too late

I haven't been to Augusta but I hear great things about that camp. I have been to Balfa camp and give it two thumbs up. As Maz, Nick and others have mentioned, the location is excellent, with quick access to many places in Acadiana. Another note about Balfa camp is that a lot of musicians drop-in during the week. These folks are not on the schedule (as instructors) but live in the area show up for the evening dances & jams. That being said, I have heard excellent reports about Augusta and Ashokan as well.

Rob K.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!