Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: I'm desperately looking for a 'Feminine' looking Cajun Accordion?

Sounds cool! I don't think I've ever seen anything like what you're suggesting, but you should be a trendsetter Ms. Juicy Lucy!

I'd recommend a 9-button done up in pink -- with lilac faceboards. Don't forget the mother of pearl buttons and the Coach shoulder strap. Sheeeeeeedt. I'd even play that! Once...

Seriously Juicy, I think you've gotta good urge. I tell ya who plays some very *different* accordions is Cedric Benoit. http://www.cedricbenoit.com/

Jr. Martin makes his boxes and he's got a boatload of 'em. A couple of months ago I was in Jr.'s shop and he was making a bright yellow and orange accordion for Mr. Benoit. Looked pretty radioactive. Cedric is a real... uhhh... different artist... two words... Branson Missouri.

Heavy on the swiss and cheddar,

R!CK

Re: Re: I'm desperately looking for a 'Feminine' looking Cajun Accordion?

Took a look are those accordions, and wow. Very Austin Powers-ish. Kind of suprised you don't see more 'in you face' color schemes, at least in zydeco circles. Didn't BooZoo have an accordion you needed sunglasses to look at? Bright yellow, maybe? If it was possible, a plexiglass accordion, like those clear '70s phones, would be cool. Maybe if Devo (le fouetter bon) makes a comeback...
Steve

Re: Re: Re: I'm desperately looking for a 'Feminine' looking Cajun Accordion?

I believe Cory Ledet had a floresant HOT Pink 10 button... saw it in Dirks class some years back.

Someone asked: Kinda fem like eh Cory?
ans: I got no problem with my masculinity at all.

Nice young man Cory Ledet, IMO

Nonc D

Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm desperately looking for a 'Feminine' looking Cajun Accordion?

The gender of the accordion is feminine in Cajun French (une accordéon, une Monarch...)

Christian

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm desperately looking for a 'Feminine' looking Cajun Accordion?

Where do you check accordion gender?

Sorry, couldnt help it.

It apparently is considered masculine in some areas. Jo-el Sonnier sings in Amedé Ardoin "..il aimé chanter avec son accordion..".

Link #3 has a link to the song and our discussion on the lyrics. Not sure how common this gender usage is.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm desperately looking for a 'Feminine' looking Cajun Accordion?

You have to look down bellows.

Okay, I'm ready sorry

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm desperately looking for a 'Feminine' looking Cajun Accordion?

Well there's my problem, I was looking under it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm desperately looking for a 'Feminine' looking Cajun Accordion?

Me, here is where I look (I trust the old Cajuns) :

- Revon Reed, in the little tale you sent me (« Mon cher vieux buddy »), says : « Tu connais TA BONNE accordéon là, LA Monarch ton grand-père t’avait donnée quelques années passées ».

In the interviews in French in Ann Savoy’s book :

- Bois-Sec dit : « c’est LA MIENNE mais prends-LA.

- Shirley Bergeron : « LA PREMIERE accordéon que t’as eu – ayoù c’est que tu l’as pris ? »
- Belton Richard : « Mon défunt père ; mon, j’ai pris LA SIENNE, et mon frère avait UNE… »
- Belton Richard : « Il m’a dit, "Je veux pas te LA donner, je veux pas te LA prêter, alors je te LA loue"… ». (p. 412)

But some accordions may have had an operation.

Christian

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm desperately looking for a 'Feminine' looking Cajun Accordion

I know it is feminine in the area I am from, but I thought after hearing Jo-el that maybe in that area they used the masculine. Heck it could be his family, or maybe he just made a mistake. I hear my mom and dad argue over words sometimes, and they grew up pretty close together. Or the operation.....

Re: So...you want an accordion without knobs?

Man,

I have a feminine accordion and all it wants to do is watch "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman". What the hell?

And the other night that very accordion asked me what I thought of its perloid buttons and when I said, "I like the metal ones", it locked itself in the bathroom and sobbed.

Zing!

Nick B.

Re: Re: So...you want an accordion without knobs?

Beats Oprah! That medicine woman thing still getting air time??

Nah, if ya don't have sliders, and ya dont have knobs...what do ya have? An accordion with less parts to have to goof up (?) More wood to look at(?) An un-masculine de-knobified chunk of this or that.

I know, let's put a little door on it and install a cookoo, so it's a clock when not in use. Perhaps some micro slider equalizer with a 9v. like I have on my hollowbody guitar for phantom power... and a little LED light that flashes to a pre-programmed tempo for un-tempo-fied types that need some type of built in metronome. strange eh?? Knobs or no Knobs...hard to say.

Would I neuter my boxes? Perhaps... did it to ole Dillon the Bassette dog, and that boy puffed up the size of wash tub, could make the bellows balloon out from such stuff, who can say.

Hello Ms Lucy,
I am sure you can have your accordion built the way you want it, just talk it over with the builder. One thing you might want to consider, if you have small hands, the bass box on the Larry Miller accordions are smaller than some of the others. His grandson has taking over the business now and uses the same specs to build accordions.
Later
Marks

That's right. Builders normally carry an inventory of bellows, buttons, mother of pearl with different colour schemes and shapes. Best way is to visit a shop and see what they have. I think the designs in the bellows will make a big impact in terms of creating a feminine look.

By the way, regarding the gender of the box in French, according to my dictionnary, it is masculin (un accordéon). However, I've heard both genders used.
Good luck in your search.
Maz

I've got me a sneaking suspicion, and I've had it from the start, that this might not have been an "on the up and up" post. Perhaps a rotating personality and IP address.

Could be wrong.

My troll alarm was up too.

Me Three

Yeah... I was gonna say that right out of the gate, but thought nah, I'll hold off and see where this goes.

The Diamonds ... it was the diamonds thing that put the poo poo on that one for me... I mean who has diamonds and jewels laying around to have put on a pastel accordion.... Need some kinda degree from " What'sa Matta U" to figure something is not quite cope-a-setic here with this one... it's skunky alright!

yup

yeah, I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt, but after seeing no responses, well...

If that is the case (and if not I apologize now), there are 2 ways I see to deal with these trolls. One is to ignore them, or at least read it, chuckle a little, and dont respond. And two, to play along with them. They are looking to get folks riled up and it almost always does, and if they dont get that they shut up or troll to another location.

I work for a fire department and one of our favorite pastimes is insulting each other trying to get a rise so we can pounce on their shouldered chip. The best way to make a pest stop is to play along with them.

Re: yup

I thought it was a cool question -- that's why I responded, But then again I like the creative "what if-type" questions even if they come from the fingertips of a troll. I mean, c'mon, *any* chick who likes to be identified as "Juicy" can't be taken too seriously... unless she's Fergie-licious. Guess you gotta be a Black Eyed Peas fan to appreciate that.

Y'all have a good St. Paddy's weekend... Erin Go Braless!

R!CK

Re: Re: yup

The irony of this post, is that even it's a ruse, the premise is worth discussing. I'm sure, especially after seeing some of the 'wilder' accordions on line, that there are more than a few players who would like their accordion be unique and identifiable to the player. Doesn't hurt to remind people that there are some excellent builders out there, and if you're looking for something unique, alll you have to do is ask. Who knows, maybe planting the seed will generate some extra business for the builders. Now some of the other posts that are obviously bogus, well, best to let those lie.
Steve

Re: Re: Re: yup

Couldn't have said it better, Steve! Now then... since I've taken up deer hunting, I'm thinkin' I need a camo painted box with 20 gauge shell casings instead of stop knobs, with an extra reed bank that is strictly a duck call (just in case the deer ain't bitin'). Guess I still have a lil' Ted Nugent in my soul after all these years!

Glad I got that off my chest! Ha!

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: yup

I think mine already has the duck call on it, or is it a moose call.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: yup

Moose call? Then leave it alone. One shot = freezer full ah meat... not to mention da hatrack on dat wall.

Keep it.

R!CK

A massive 'Thank You' to ALL who took the time,
to help answer, my very valid and sincere question.

It's good to see that MOST of you guys,
have a wonderful sense of humor.

Kindest Regards, Lucy.

That's a pretty cool idea! I know my dad made a scaled-down version of his "Acadian" for my mom (Chere Bassette that she is). You might contact him about doing one for you, although I don't know if he made any for anyone but her. As for the color, you could get Purple Heart (mine is made from this--it's a deep fushia or purple color, naturally, that changes gradually over time to a really rich, deep bluish-red), but if you want something wilder, maybe you'd go for Curly Maple with a rose stain? Yellow bellows would bring it out, and I'm sure you could find some custom inlay. (A dream of mine is to start designing inlay for my dad once I'm home to really make his beautiful accordions even MORE unique) I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be up for putting rhinestones on it, but you can get pearl buttons, abalone inlay in the stops, and you can always add your own flower decals and rhinestones. (But might I suggest a really cool rhinestone strap for it? And you could decoupage the case, if you got a wooden one...Have you seen my guitar case?)

Hope this helps!!! Again, REALLY cool idea!

Cheers,
Sarah

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!