Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: not too late

I haven't done Augusta. My only experience was Balfa last year. Although I've heard great things about Augusta, I just can't imagine how you could replicate the ambiance of being "there" in the craddle of cajun music in Ville Plate. Something is to be said about the Louisiana Folks Roots Fest going on at the same time, on the same site, which gives you the opportunity to see some of the finest bands and dance the night out until you head to the late/early morning jams by the bond fire. You can also escape the camp and tour around the other towns. We took the opportunity to visit Fred's Lounge in Mamou, drop by some shop to get some boudin, visit the Savoy music centre in Eunice, visit Larry Miller's shop in Iaota, spend a memorable night at Blue Moon Saloon in Lafayette, and many more great memories and interactions. I wouldn't worry about your level. The idea is to get there, immerse yourself, watch and record the masters play, and improve from wherever you are.
I'm not going this year unfortunately... I have other conflicting projects and I had to sacrifice this year's camp. I hope I make it next year. Maz

Re: Re: not too late

I haven't been to Augusta but I hear great things about that camp. I have been to Balfa camp and give it two thumbs up. As Maz, Nick and others have mentioned, the location is excellent, with quick access to many places in Acadiana. Another note about Balfa camp is that a lot of musicians drop-in during the week. These folks are not on the schedule (as instructors) but live in the area show up for the evening dances & jams. That being said, I have heard excellent reports about Augusta and Ashokan as well.

Rob K.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!