Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Good stuff!

please let us know what you find about the igloo, as I would like to find an inexpensive soft case but am not sure about sizes on the igloos.

thanks

Hal

Re: Re: Good stuff! Here's the expanded scoop about that

24 can size. It will come with a plastic inserted tub which you can slide out easily.

Here's what'cha do:
ya get that thing, take out the plastic tub. Have your wife, girlfriend or mother (or do it yourself if you are that crafty, I am and you should be) measure that tub. Go down to walmart or a fabric store, and buy some HEAVY felt (or fake fur). Cut that fabric to match that tub and sew it up. Now ya got a replicated insert the size of that tub, right? You can hot glue that fabric on the inside of that cooler... or get some of that stick on velcro and lock that fabric in to the cavity of that soft case.

Here's the why of it all: When you take that plastic tub out, you will notice it has a silver plastic coated insulated finish designed to keep cool things cold and hot things hot. That finish could (?) be damaging to the finish of an accordion (I think). The felt liner will add more protection to your accordions finish.

Here's the Nonc theory: It's like taking plastic fish'in worms and putting them in a plastic assorted nut & bolt box/keeper thing that's not designed for plastic worms. Some plastics clash and will cause the plastic to sorta melt. If dont fish with artificial baits, you might not know that junk about plastics (Ive melted a gob of plastic and pitched a gob of worms from bassin, enough to know these things, and come up with new cuss word as a result). I don't know the reaction of what ever finish is put on these accordions and how they react to that silvey plastic lining ... I wonder enough however, that causes me to not flirt with it... as a reason I think it was important to line the thing. Now if you wonder, why I gotta go through all that mess just for a cheap soft case for an accordion... well because it is cheap (inexpensive) and those things work like a champ! I have four of em (one for each accordion) in differant colors... so I know what accorion (and what key) is in which soft case. Yep, they work like a champ.

Nonc D

this would be my fear..

flying with an instrument is a problem

if you use a soft case,
they can still make you check it.
try as you might, if they want to make
you check it, they can.
and then you are hosed.

yet a real flight case weighs
about 25 lbs with an accordion
inside, and costs about as much.

wle.

Re: this would be my fear..

Has anyone put an accordion through as checked luggage. I plan to take one to an archaeology camp and I want to put it in it's hard case (with padding inside) inside a large duffle full of camping gear. This is a hernia popping duffle so I don't see how even it could get thrown around much. Is the cargo space pressurized or would a stick under a few flappers be a good idea?
Leslie

Re: Re: this would be my fear..

pressurization isn;t going to be
the issue

nothing in an accordion is hermetically
sealed

the issue is going to be
dropping, throwing around,
and parking forklifts on top of
the case

i haven;t checked one, but that
is what can happen

wle.

I have checked one several times with no trouble.

I have one of the ATA Anvil Flight cases, and have used it to check my accordion as baggage several times. The accordion always came through with no trouble, although there are a couple of nice gouges in the case. But, that just proves that the case is doing what it was designed for.

-David

Re: Old topic - how to fly the accordion?

To fly an accordion, just glue a wing on each end, says Hon. Telesphore Boudreaux, Mare of Bayou Pon Pon

You can also glue a shoe, then you'll obtain a shoefly (a nice dance, indeed!)

Re: Old topic - how to fly the accordion?

Oh, gosh. You know, I just discovered this site about half an hour ago and there are so many posts to which I want to reply! I should have checked the date on this, but I'll just have to hope I'm not too late.

DEFINITELY take your accordion on-board with you. The pressure and temperature changes underneath the plane are really hard on the instrument. While it can handle these conditions, it takes it a few hours to recover, and that's if you have really good, strong wood making up your accordion and not some painted pine or something. I use a Peavy soft case 'cause it's what my dad gave me, but it really doesn't matter. Get whatever's most comfortable for you.

Oh, and I really doubt they'll tell you anything about it being too big, but if they do, just flat-out REFUSE to check it. I always do that with my guitar (obviously a lot bigger than an accordion, PLUS it's in a hard case) and I always get away with it. I tell them they'll have to insure it if I'm going to check it. They normally find room for it in the cabin after that.

I hope this helps.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!