Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: this would be my fear..

pressurization isn;t going to be
the issue

nothing in an accordion is hermetically
sealed

the issue is going to be
dropping, throwing around,
and parking forklifts on top of
the case

i haven;t checked one, but that
is what can happen

wle.

I have checked one several times with no trouble.

I have one of the ATA Anvil Flight cases, and have used it to check my accordion as baggage several times. The accordion always came through with no trouble, although there are a couple of nice gouges in the case. But, that just proves that the case is doing what it was designed for.

-David

Re: Old topic - how to fly the accordion?

To fly an accordion, just glue a wing on each end, says Hon. Telesphore Boudreaux, Mare of Bayou Pon Pon

You can also glue a shoe, then you'll obtain a shoefly (a nice dance, indeed!)

Re: Old topic - how to fly the accordion?

Oh, gosh. You know, I just discovered this site about half an hour ago and there are so many posts to which I want to reply! I should have checked the date on this, but I'll just have to hope I'm not too late.

DEFINITELY take your accordion on-board with you. The pressure and temperature changes underneath the plane are really hard on the instrument. While it can handle these conditions, it takes it a few hours to recover, and that's if you have really good, strong wood making up your accordion and not some painted pine or something. I use a Peavy soft case 'cause it's what my dad gave me, but it really doesn't matter. Get whatever's most comfortable for you.

Oh, and I really doubt they'll tell you anything about it being too big, but if they do, just flat-out REFUSE to check it. I always do that with my guitar (obviously a lot bigger than an accordion, PLUS it's in a hard case) and I always get away with it. I tell them they'll have to insure it if I'm going to check it. They normally find room for it in the cabin after that.

I hope this helps.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!