Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
I'm shocked to learn that Chinese accordions are crap.

Actually, that is not shocking at all, but it is sad.

It seems that everything is total crap these days, and most of it seems to come from China. Screws that I buy at Home Depot split in half while being screwed in with a hand screw driver under normal hand torque. My plumber replaced a couple shut off valves that started leaking when I used them to shut off water to a faucet that needed some washers replaced. The valves were not that old - maybe 6 years. They had cheap plastic stems. And it seems that you cannot even obtain valves of higher quality. The list goes on and on.

Anyway, sorry for your bad experience. I hope you can make it work for you. My first accordion was a German made HA-114, and it is still going strong.

-David

Re: I'm shocked to learn that Chinese accordions are crap.

There's a fella in Scotland- Charlie Marshall, "CGM musical" who supplies lots of hohner parts, they're all listed the CGM musical website.

Had a bad experience with the modern 114 myself as a first accordion, sent it back.
The old german 114s are cracking instruments and cost half the price of a new one- so get it sold!

Hi AJ,

I had the same thoughs about Hohner 114c,
I bought one 03-04 months ago to start playing accordion
but did not much anything with it,
and quicly went into searching the real box thing,

But 114's are light and funny to play, and they deserve a second look:
I did a lot of air lacks debugging with mine (second hand),
changed the spoon springs to heavier ones (safety pins)
and changed the right hand springs to lighter ones
(I made them myself with piano string: 0.70mm was too strong, but 0.65mm is good to me)
a little bit rough but funny:

Sounds like you've got it sussed Christophe- I'm envious of your tinkering skills!
Nice tune.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!