Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: First Gig

Congrats on the first gig. Did you sing also?

I havent really played in front of a group of strangers yet. The closest I've come is for our community Mardi Gras I got on the bandstand (a trailer) and played one song. It took several beers and a few shots of brandy to get the nerve to do it, even though it was family and friends. I looked down at the accordion so I wouldnt see the faces. Went ok, except for forgetting the turn on a song I've played no telling how many times. It seems worse knowing there are some good accordion players listening. But it was really cool playing along with all the other instruments.

very nice to hear J.B.

Sunday evening was also my first time to play with a band.
there was a cd promotion party, and during the afterparty there was a jamsession.

It was fun, i missed a lot of notes, but it was fun.

i think i need more practise.

Wilfred

p.s. Ron, i see you made it back home in one piece, i was kind of worried there for a moment.
That vitamin B12 can be mean stuff

Re: Re: First Gig

They will ask you to play on the next record I guess...

Gus

Hi,

Can't say it was a gig but it was a gig-like experience I had in London a few days ago with Jesse Lege. He and his band with Joel Savoy and Bobby Michot were about halfway through their gig and I was hanging about at the bar at the back of the venue. I heard my name and at first I didn't take notice but suddenly it appeared to me Jesse was calling me to do some tunes. I didn't hesitate and left the bar, went up to the band and before I knew what was going on Jesse handed me his accordion (which he got from the late Danny Poullard) and he said 'Just play a few songs for us, take your time'. The next moment I heard myself starting with the Oppellousas Two Step, and it was like heaven. I saw Jesse dancing as well!
Fortunately my wife Pauline (from Cajun Company) was playing fiddle with Joel Savoy so I felt comfortable enough and what I thought was wonderful was that no one in the band questioned whether I could play adequate or not, but they just supported me in rhythm and melody. So I played another tune, Grandma's Waltz, and finished it off with the Acadian Two Step. Boy, what an experience. And what a feeling that these master musicians allowed me to step in on their gig and just say enjoy yourself: play!
Peter

Wow!I guess it took some time before you had both feet on the ground again.

did you also sing on Grandma`s Waltz?

Wilfred

Re: Re: Re: First Gig

yeah I did.
This Jesse is one of the kindest and down to earth musicians I've ever met. We'll be seeing him again sunday april 15 in Vermillionville. Again with Pauline playing with his band.

Did they make pictures (like you did saturday night) of your performance?

Gus

Re: Re: Re: First Gig

' fraid not. But still got the whole of it in my head.
Peter

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!