Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Unfamiliar Band

Hey JB,

I've never heard of those guys. You'll have to give a full report if you go...

Also, for whatever reason, I blanked on the fact that you live in San Antonio. Have you been to many Fa Tras dances? How is that Legion Hall as a venue/dancefloor?

My band played a fantastic dancehall called "Luxello Hall" last fall. They had a crawfish boil and a fair number of dancers as well. Also, I had the best bbq pig in my life there.

Congrats on your first gig with the accordion. Playing the squeezebox live is one of those great thrills that I feel fortunate to enjoy on a regular basis. Not only will it make you a better musician, but there's something about the instrument's sound and appearance that attracts inquisitive stangers, children included.

We hope to play at Luxello again in October. Hopefully we can get some of the local CFMA folks to come out.

And of course, if you want to sit in on a few tunes, you're more than welcome.

Nick B.

Re: Re: Unfamiliar Band

Yeah, Nick, Luxcello Hall has been around since about 1887. It was called the Cibolo Country club for a while back in the 1990's , but they kind of fell on hard times for a while. Glad to hear they are back in business. Sorry I missed your show there.
The CFMA Fa Tras have their dances at the Herrmann Sons Hall in downtown San Antonio. Great dance floor. Mainly a seasoned citizen crowd, but they all know how to dance! The '07 season in booked full, but I am sure there will be openings in '08. Cory Mc has played for us numerous times. What is the name of your group?
Thanks for the encouragement.
JB

Re: Re: Re: Unfamiliar Band

Yes, Brett is about 22 years old, he grew up right around the corner from me in Milton, LA. I gave Brett lessons several times about 8 years ago, I have not seen or spoke to him in a long time since I've moved to Lake Charles. I see his parents all the time when I go back to Milton and they tell me he's doing well. I have heard some of his stuff on the radio and his band has a good sound.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Unfamiliar Band

Hey JB,

It's the Doc Marshalls. We do about 60% cajun live. The rest is honky tonk and Americana, with an emphasis on originals.

Yeah, they remodeled the old Cibollo Creek Hall. They removed the old bar, but the rest of the place is intact. It's a great place to hear and play music.

Drop by and see us next time.

Best,

Nick B

Hey Rusty...

Lake Charles is my second home -- getting married there this June 30th -- Sean Vidrine & SwampFyre are playing my reception. I suspect once the wedding is behind me, the wife and I will spend some quality time with her family there -- doing what we usually do -- shootin' pool, cookin' critters, fishing offshore, squeezin' the box, and cruisin' the Calcasieu on a flotilla of boat choices. Love to hang with ya -- or any of the Braves from the greater LC area on one of the many weekends I spend there. Holla back! ~T! (R!CK)

Re: Hey Rusty...

That sounds good ! I got married on the 30th of June also !! Usually after work I go into the shop, drink a beer or two, put on the am radio and go to work on my creations !!

P.S. I might just have to come a crash the reception !!!!!!

Re: Re: Hey Rusty...

How's the "creations" coming?

Re: Re: Re: Hey Rusty...

Better now, holidays are over, my daughter is now 11 weeks old, settling in to my new "traveling" job. My goal is to have two of them completed for May 1. Have quite a bit more traveling to do in April. I'm going to keep one as a "guinnea" the other will be up for sale. Once they're done, I'll put them on YouTube for anyone who's interested. They'll both be in the key of "C".

Re: Re: Unfamiliar Band

hey nick!

cool to hear that you'll be in Texas again this fall. I saw that previous post mentioned the CFMA dances at the Sons of Hermann. Me and my brother are lifetime members of The Sons Of Hermann. I'll be gettin' hitched in October so i probably won't be able to make it back to Texas for the show but bon chance bro!

-kevin

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!