Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Beginner Here...kudo to Gus

Now there is a fine idea... If Marc is gonna sell em, negotiate with that Cajun (they like negotiating anyhow, those I have come upon). The day comes that ya want a hand built, there's that opportunity to trade up a fair market price.

That's a dandy idea there Gus!

Nonc D

Re: Re: Re: Beginner Here...kudo to Gus

Believe me, I have been in his shop and I want every accordion I see. But, I want to make sure I can play it before spending the money on it.

Just wondering of that model is worth learning on, and if anyone has used one, does it sound cajun?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Beginner Here...kudo to Gus

I owned two of them before I stepped up to a hand built. Yes, you can learn to play on one, and if the bug bites you like it has most everyone else on this post, it will prove to be a great investment. If you can work a trade in deal with Mark, that's ideal. If not, they regularly sell on ebay for around $200. They have some of the Bestlers at Augusta for beginners to try, they're very similar to the Hohner. In the hands of John Vidrine, they sounded like a million bucks. Maybe the player has something to do with it, too!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Beginner Here...kudo to Gus

The Musician has everything to do with it. Give a $200 Chinese box to the right guy, and he makes it sound a lot better than it's supposed to.
JB

I've got one I bought from Ken Smith's B&K music 22 years ago and it still plays great. I've never had to have it tuned and never done any repairs to the bellows or anything else. And it will sound Cajun as long as the player sounds Cajun. Most of the old timers I knew had at least one Hohner that they played.

I think once you get it and learn on it, you'll be hard pressed to part with it even if you order a custom made.

If you are going to buy any one, I would get the 114 for sure, not any other. I really regret not waiting a little longer and getting a handbuilt one, but the 114 is good enough to learn on- takes alot more work to play than a handmade, I find. The resale is alot easier too than say, an ariette. A second hand box is a way better investment than the Hohners. I "play" my 114 with the second to furthurest stop down closed which I find dries it up a bit. Good luck

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Beginner Here...kudo to Gus

Thanks for all the advice. I think I will get one.

Merci Beaucoup

whatt does KUDO mean, Nonc?

Nonc, thank you, but I would like to know what KUDO means. Can you please explain?

Gus from Holland

Re: whatt does KUDO mean, Nonc?

Kudos = congratulations and/or praise

--big

Re: whatt does KUDO mean, Nonc?

Yeah Gus... Kudo

A Kudo is a granola bar dipped in chocolate served as a treat.... sometimes given for doing something good... in the case of a parent or adult giving a kudo to a child for taking care of business very well.

Used as an expression, Kudo would mean an honorable reccognition for something well done, or well said.

Nonc D

Re: Re: whatt does KUDO mean, Nonc?

Thanks for the kuddo,

I´ll eat it remembering this.

Gus

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!