Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Was YOUR 'new cajun accordion' REALLY handmade by the person who sold it to you ?

The builders (or at least the ones I know of) build just about the entire accordion from hand. The bellows are imported as are the reeds. Just about everything else is built from hand. Maybe you could get someone to get you a copy of the DIY special of Marc Savoy building an accordion. It gives a great idea of what it takes to build an accordion.

Joey

Re: Was YOUR 'new cajun accordion' REALLY handmade by the person who sold it to you ?

I have 4 Cajun accordions. Here's what I can say about them:

1. Red Bb ~ I KNOW that Greg Mouton built this one whith no assistance from anyone else.

2. Brown D ~ I'm relatively certain that "Shine Mouton" built this accordion with assistance from nobody else. IF he had any help with it, that would have come from his nephew, Greg.

3. Green F (With 5 Stops) ~ I'm quite certain that Randy Falcon made this accordion with no assistance from anyone else.

4. Purple C ~ I am uncertain if Junior Martin built this accordion totally by humself, as it's my understanding that he has other people (relatives?) helping out in his shop from time to time. Last time I visited, he had sort of an "assembly line" set up going on. I've been told that the crawfish on the bellows are done by some guy out in California? Not absolutely certain about that.

And, as mentioned in another post, the bellows and reeds, along with straps, buttons, and assorted hardware are purchased from outside sources.

Re: Re: Was YOUR 'new cajun accordion' REALLY handmade by the person who sold it to you ?

Fair question there Lucy.... although that is fairly common knowledge and discussion that we have revisited many times, here is my take on it.

Doubt seriously that my accordions were 100% completed by the builder exclussively. Of my accordions; Three had been partly done by apprentices with the overall inspection tuning and final approvals being done by the master builder. One, had his wife doing little nervey little things like the finish on the flappers, felt and leathers etc. some parts or services may be "farmed out" as a specialty. So as not to delve deeply into high dollar equipment for a cost effective meens of smaller volumne builders.
But...

By and large, it is the end result mostly eminated from the builder, or, his final exacting approvals for what the end result produced.. along with the standard parts list from abroad naturally(bellows, reeds etc.). The builder name is the go too person where the consumer is concerned... for any issue or comment.

Still, there is the question in many minds that appear on this board now and then;

Is a hand built accordion truly a hand built accordion?
I say it is as an expression of differentiating the term.. hand built vs. production factory thing. That creates a baseline of varing degrees of quality in some instances. Knowing not everything about our alledged handbuilts are 100% hand built by one specific person (honestly that does not matter to me).

Further:
I also doubt that a geographical location for where this is activity of building is done. what makes one better than another? If the end result of quality (for what we understand of quality) is applied when it reaches the buyers hands at a reasonable price, little else matters.... except to those who are steadfast on domestic products and supporting incomes of the culture where the music we play comes from. So does price factor in? Sometimes it does for many folks, just as any investment item would.

Nonc D

Joanie you are correct.

Joanie, you are correct.
I will tell you his name is Jim and omit the last name.

He lives in Birds Landing California (just west of Rio Vista about 10 miles). He does exclussive graphics for one builder and one builder only, Junior. He also does fine abalone inlay as an art form. Jim does play accordion, but he plays Irish. The late Ed Luckenbach would play music now and then (Irish) with Jim.
Re: Ed, he studied from Junior on the construction/repair and tuning, on his extended visits to Louisiana.

Nonc D

why do you ask this question Jucy?

Is it so very important for you to know?

Gus

Re: why do you ask this question Jucy?

yeah really

i am perfectly happy with my
accordions

what difference does it make
to anyone else?

it;s like if i was going to
drive to texas, someone asking
if i was going to take
i-20 or i-10

what matters is the end, not the
means

wle.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!