Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Accordion Help

I'm a rookie too, and I had the same problems on my Hohner when I got it. The two problems I had were some flappers werent sitting completely flat on the faceplate, and some of the springs didnt have enough tension. I just replaced springs and manipulated the flappers until they were flat. The spring tension showed up when I pushed on the bellows and looked at the flappers, a couple of them barely but noticebly opened just enough to allow a little air out.

It may not be the best way, but I found some leaks just by pushing the bellows with my face close to the flappers (kind of a bonding experience also), and some I ended up pulling the bellows open and putting fine talcum powder on suspected areas around the outside of the faceplate around the flappers and then pushing the bellows in. The leaks showed up by blowing a little talc. I was careful to wipe away the talc before pulling on the bellows again so it wouldnt get sucked in.

As Steve said, if you could post some particulars on your accordion, you may be able to get more specific help.

Re: Accordion Help

I'm a believer in not keeping it in its box. Keep it out of its box and handy, you'll find it a lot easier to get in a few minutes practice (or longer) if you don't have to get up, go to the box, open it, pick up the accordian, play it etc etc.

The problems you're seeing with the accordian are unliley to be due to not keeping it in its box.

In better weather (I live in a house that's too big to heat fully on my wallet), I have put one of my accordions out on a table with a cloth thrown over it to keep off the dust, and so I can't miss it when I walk in the room. Not so often these days with the hyper-active cat of ever increasing mass and velocity leaping about!

So I agree with Orson that keeping it out and handy is good for the playing.

S'b'B

Re: Re: Re: Accordion Help

Thanks everyone for your willingness to help me out.
BTW, I'm referring to a cheapie single row diatonic.
It's the best $250 I've ever spent. It has given me so much joy to play along (to try to keep up) with all the Cajun greats!

Thanks for the good advice. The problem seems to be enironmental rather than mechanical. It played just fine last evening. BTW, I'm playing a cheapie single row diatonic...the best $250 bucks I've ever spent! I really agree with leaving it out of the box. It helps me play/practice more often.

Thanks again.
Clyde

Re: Re: Re: Accordion Help

I dont know if your box is new or not, but another thing I noticed after I redid the leathers and felt on the flappers is it took a little playing to seat the valves well.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!