Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: What key should I get my next accordion in?

That D is a great key and don't forget you can play in the key of E for some good Zydeco and blues numbers out of the D position. You can sound very Wayne Toupian and really get the crowd going. I rarely use the A but recently we have been doing "Lake Charles Connection" off of Chris and Sean Ardoin's "Gonna Be Just Fine " CD so I have been playing it more since the CD is in that key. (Bm?)

Re: Re: Re: Re: What key should I get my next accordion in?

I used to think my vocal range dictated what key accordion I should have. Truth is, it's what kind of box sound you like. I have boxes in almost every key and manage to find a way to sing in those keys. I'm not a fantastic singer, mind you. But I can sing SOMETHING in every key. If you want to sound Cajun, get a C or D box. If you want to sound zydeco -- take up the 3-row. Seriously. Zydeco tends to utilize all keys with the exception of the higher-keyed Cajun boxes, i.e., E and F. Yes, there's a ton of Cajun boxes used in zydeco, but to nail-down one common key anymore is difficult to do. Used to be Bb -- but that was back in the early 90's when nouveau zydeco emmerged and a big part of that influence was responsible by Zydeco Force, Beau Jocque and Boozoo. To say Bb is the "zydeco key" is a tough thing to prove in the new millennium. It is, however, a great key -- one of my favorites.

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: What key should I get my next accordion in?

C and D appear the natural purchasing progression.
But had I known the feel and fat sound of the Bb, I may have gone from C to Bb and change the order of how I purchased.

One well known artist made a statement to a friend of ours re: a brand new (beautiful old timber bird eye maple, high figured) accordion in B flat that was just built and purchased.
He indicated it is not Cajun, or that real Cajun does not include Bb. Perhaps it because he himself has that C or D singing range... or he was being off the wall, don't know which... I thought it was an odd statement no matter the reason. Dr. Gene, if ever you want to part with that beauty, I would baby that thing till my dying day... it is a peach!

That sorta sets up the why of Bb?
Some of the best material Steve Riley has produced, was done up in Bb (IMO). The three part harmony of the Mamou Playboys is a primo stamp.. when the Bb sound is on the forefront, it is what captivated my ear for their tallents (and they have a bunch, in their bag of muiscal tricks). Likewise, Blackie Foriester (Cajun Aces)old school, really captivated that Bb sound and caused me to hone in on his style and tallent because of his accordion work on Bb.

While C and D has a vast amount of tracks to play along with... I don't discount that great sound of Bb, it is my prefered sound and I like the feel of the differant amount of air I use in order to play on the Bb. To me it has a differant feel.

Nonc D

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What key should I get my next accordion in?

Hey,

My second accordion was in the Key of A. At the time, I thought I really wanted to do songs in E. Looking back I probably should have gone with the D. I underestimated my ability to sing with a higher box.

That said, I really do like the sound of the A, even for Cajun. We do Choupique Two-Step in E and it sounds really, really cool.

Also, there's something to be said for forcing your fiddler to play different licks. If they're always playing in G and C, a song in E forces them to rethink things.

I'd recommend a D if you want to play Cajun. I don't think you'll regret it at all. Other keys are less compatable with the fiddle and you may get less use out of it than you had hoped.

My next box will definitely be a D. I'd love to score a Falcon, but the price has officially become prohibitive for me. My beautiful Martin guitar was DESTROYED last week by a swinging door, and I have to focus on buying a new topline acoustic.

Anyway, whatever you pick I'm sure you'll love it.

Nick B

Bb and its origin

What I've heard from reliable sources regarding the key of Bb is; it's a great brass/woodwind key. As you know, a tenor sax is a Bb instrument. It's a great R&B key (rhythm and blues) and thus, in the early days before zydeco (as we know it) -- Bb was a popular key for bands with horn sections.

As zydeco adopted these tunes in the old school days, they didn't change the key. That's what I was told by Clifton's late trumpet player, Warren Ceasar.

Like Nonc D, I love my Bb -- it's my favorite box. Part of that is the fact that it's a 1993 green Falcon 4-stop, the easiest accordion I've ever put in my hands, and has phattest sound I've ever heard.

R!CK

Re: Bb and its origin

My recommendation based on your prerogative:
After getting the C and D (for Cajun & several other traditional styles, especially where you might jam with fiddles), for zydeco, blues, and that slightly more groovy sound, I recommend you go Bb.
I currently own a C Bon Cajun (Larry Miller) & a D Acadian (Marc Savoy). No question, my next box will be in Bb. A good example of that Bb sound can be found on Horace Trahan's zydeo CD (Horace Trahan & the New Ossun Express). What's the cost for a Martin Jr Nowadays?

Re: Bb and its origin

Hi Rick,

That is an interesting bit of history that I did not know about.

I can see how a zydeco band with horns and a piano accordion would go that route.

However, I think an equally important factor were the bands like Boozoo and Z-Force and Beau Jocque who were all early proponents of the Bb cajun accordion. One big factor has to do with vocal range. Just go back and listen to some of Boozoo's earlier recordings when he had a C accordion, and notice how strained some of the high notes were when singing in G. Let's face it, the key of G is just too high for most men, unless you want to monkey around with the melody by dropping the high G notes down an octave. Heck, even a high F can be a challenge for me at times, and that is after years of work.

So, I am not discounting your explanation, just offering up additional factor of vocal comfort zone as a determining factor.

Now that I think of it, another big factor is that of availability. Maybe prior to the Bb innovators pushing the builders, maybe it just wasn't done? I am just speculating, but maybe none of the builders went that route until the idea/demand came from some of the zydeco guys?

-David

Re: Re: Bb and its origin

Yeah, you gotta good comment there David. I remember when I wanted Randy to build me that Bb in '93, he was really questioning my reasoning, especially since I was really hung up on Beau Jocque (and not Roddie Romero). And when I told him I wanted an internal mic in it, he just about passed out. Back then, he hadn't made but a few Bb's because it wasn't that popular of a key -- and NEVER installed an internal mic on a box. Now, I can't imagine playing in a band (or listening to a band) without a Bb box. It IS such a beautiful key. And the internal mic? Well... Ha! It don't git no bettah!

R!CK

Go for Bb.

My general recommendation would be to go for a Bb. G and F are of rather limited utility.

I have accordions in A, Bb, C and D. I only bring the Bb to gigs any more.

-David

Re: What key should I get my next accordion in?

Decided to get Bb and D, gives me the best of both worlds, and now I will have four boxes A,Bb,C, and D....this means I better start playing a lot more and make use of them all. Bb will be a good one to sing with, and D, I can use for Irish music, and to play along with fiddles. When I become rich or sell more instruments I imagine F or G would be my next move. It's nice having a lot of accordions around....it's the ultimate form of material happiness....what could be better?

Re: Re: What key should I get my next accordion in?

Great idea on the Bb!

In addition to my collection, I have a B box. Even though it's only a half step off of Bb, it has a very unique sound -- much like A vs. Bb. They are so close, but having those options for your guitarist and bass player opens up new options for them -- makes a lot of difference. Cross-harp on the B box allows guitar chording in F#, which my band really digs.

If you consider an F box in the future, it's really sweet -- those high reeds are gorgeous. We do a couple of blues shuffle tunes on it (cross-harp in the key of C) and it just brings the mood up.

Material happiness, bro...

R!CK

capos are a lot cheaper than

as far as guitar goes, capos are a lot cheaper than
accordions...

wle

learn the harmonica too!

something else that;s cheaper than
new accordions

harmonicas

every button box player should learn
at least some harmonica

you already mastered the hard part -
the part that is most illogical -
the in/out thing for different notes

most of the holes on the harmonica directly
correspond to the buttons of the accordion

with only a little practice, you can
play things that amaze much more experienced
harp players - because playing actual
melodies is usually considered 'advanced'

[usually harp players just learn some
bends and chords on the low end at first, and
some manage to never really learn
the notes on the upper end]

you will be able to do it almost right away

so if there is some song your guitar player
wants do in B, just get and E harp and go
for it

wle.

Re: Re: What key should I get my next accordion in?

Pictures ! We want pictures !

Re: What key should I get my next accordion in?

Ooh! Don't get a Bb!! That key is MURDER on the voice!! It's always either too high or too low for everyone. Definitely get the D, and an E is always fun, too. That's my advice.

SDS

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!