Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New French immersion program available soon in Thibodeau via Université Sainte-Anne

I will indulge on this lagniappe to share a very exciting news:
I am sure some of you have heard about the 5-week immersion program that has been very popular with Cajuns at Université Sainte-Anne in Nova Scotia, Canada. Over the past years, many people from Louisiana have come down to recapture the mother-tongue language of their grand parents, or improve their mastery of the French language. Wilson & Joel Savoy, Blake Miller & Cedric Watson are examples of some of the former students who have come here. While this is a fantastic program, it might not be possible for everyone to spend a summer in Nova Scotia due to a lack of time and/or money.
Here's the good news: Université Sainte-Anne has just entered into a partnership with a University in Thibodeau, LA and created a new Immersion School that will be called Eddie Richard. See the links attached for more details. The first program will be available this coming June.

This should be an exciting news for all of you in LA who value the French language and are preoccupied with its disappereance. Along with the initiatives of CODOFIL, which typically focuses on providing French teaching to younger kids, this immersion program is a great addition to the survival of the French language in Lousiana by focusing on young and older adults.

On a final note, I read with great interest the few postings that you wrote a couple of weeks ago (Jude, Bryan, etc.) on the survival of French and its challenges. I found it to be very interesting.
I will just say this: NEVER GIVE UP! You are not alone. It is not dead unless YOU DECIDE IT IS.
The positive thing, is that there are more people who speak French today on earth that there was never in history, estimated at 200 Million today.

Music is probably the best vehicle availaible to keep a culture alive, but when the language is intricately linked to it, it becomes obvious that both go hand in hand. As long as Cajuns will keep learning and promoting THEIR language, especially with the younger generation, there will always be hope for the survival and emancipation of their culture. I really hope the École Eddie Richard will be a great success. I will be if people attend its program. Please share the good news around!
Maz

Re: New French immersion program available soon in Thibodeau via Université Sainte-Anne

That is a good step. Another thing is it is in that southeast portion that gets so little attention. The only hope for our language is for the young folks to get into it. The only part I am sad to see is they usually teach standard French at these type things.

Re: Re: New French immersion program available soon in Thibodeau via Université Sainte-Anne

I agree Bryan. I dislike the fact that they teach standard French to Cajun youth expecting that it'll make them proud of their culture. While it's true that learning standard French can help you learn Cajun French, the OPPOSITE is also true. A child who learns Cajun French first will also be able to learn standard French later in life... or both at the same time.

Also, CODOFIL gets no credit for this immersion program at Nicholls State University in Thibodaux. Eddie Richard gets all of the credit because he's the one who fought for it.

Believe me, if I had the money, I would create a Cajun French immersion program. The problem is that I don't have the money. Plus, I don't have a team to work with to make it possible and I don't know the first thing about how immersion programs work.

---Roy---

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!