Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Le bétail

In Louisiana, "la betaille" means "animal", I havent heard it used in the masculine, may have to ask dad about that. There is a very old song that has been recorded by Harrison Fontenot and by Isom Fontenot called La Betaille, "ils ont une betaille, alle a monté dans la tite arbe". Not sure what kind of critter that is refering to, but it had red hair and blue eyes. I asked Harrison if he knew what it was and he just gave me a puzzled look.

One little side about betaille, Maz maybe you know. We used a word "tataille", which apparently is only used in some areas of Louisiana, but I was wondering if in Canada too. It is used for kind of a monster, or mean person. May be one of those kid words, but I always assumed it originated from betaille.

Re: Re: Re: Le bétail

Interesting. No, I've never heard of the expression "tataille" over here.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Le bétail

Hey Maz, if you would, send me an email.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Le bétail

Bryan, the Fontenot song made me think about it. So,
if it is La betaille (female/cow= La), could be pronounced like LáBéTaiéé,
Les Haricots also became Zydeco, so I'm puzzled.

I remember Alan Lomax saying that yippietaye (or something like that had a acadian/canadian origen.

Gus

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Le bétail

I never thought about that, and I dont know the ins and outs of French grammar, but the ending has more of what I would consider a masculine sound. We pronounce it "la bétai".

Alan Lomax made a few speculations on his documentary that probably cant be proven either way, that's one of them. Still about my favorite documentary though.

If I remember right, I think Rockin' Sydney had a song called "There's a betaille in my room"

Like a Loup'Garou?

Someone I know from the internet told stories about a Poul'Garou down there.

In fact, I wrote a bad song about it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Le bétail

Well, let's see it!! That poule garou sounds fearesome.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Le bétail

Someone famous said "If you want to see true horror, look into the eye of a chicken".

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!