Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Bb and its origin

Yeah, you gotta good comment there David. I remember when I wanted Randy to build me that Bb in '93, he was really questioning my reasoning, especially since I was really hung up on Beau Jocque (and not Roddie Romero). And when I told him I wanted an internal mic in it, he just about passed out. Back then, he hadn't made but a few Bb's because it wasn't that popular of a key -- and NEVER installed an internal mic on a box. Now, I can't imagine playing in a band (or listening to a band) without a Bb box. It IS such a beautiful key. And the internal mic? Well... Ha! It don't git no bettah!

R!CK

Go for Bb.

My general recommendation would be to go for a Bb. G and F are of rather limited utility.

I have accordions in A, Bb, C and D. I only bring the Bb to gigs any more.

-David

Re: What key should I get my next accordion in?

Decided to get Bb and D, gives me the best of both worlds, and now I will have four boxes A,Bb,C, and D....this means I better start playing a lot more and make use of them all. Bb will be a good one to sing with, and D, I can use for Irish music, and to play along with fiddles. When I become rich or sell more instruments I imagine F or G would be my next move. It's nice having a lot of accordions around....it's the ultimate form of material happiness....what could be better?

Re: Re: What key should I get my next accordion in?

Great idea on the Bb!

In addition to my collection, I have a B box. Even though it's only a half step off of Bb, it has a very unique sound -- much like A vs. Bb. They are so close, but having those options for your guitarist and bass player opens up new options for them -- makes a lot of difference. Cross-harp on the B box allows guitar chording in F#, which my band really digs.

If you consider an F box in the future, it's really sweet -- those high reeds are gorgeous. We do a couple of blues shuffle tunes on it (cross-harp in the key of C) and it just brings the mood up.

Material happiness, bro...

R!CK

capos are a lot cheaper than

as far as guitar goes, capos are a lot cheaper than
accordions...

wle

learn the harmonica too!

something else that;s cheaper than
new accordions

harmonicas

every button box player should learn
at least some harmonica

you already mastered the hard part -
the part that is most illogical -
the in/out thing for different notes

most of the holes on the harmonica directly
correspond to the buttons of the accordion

with only a little practice, you can
play things that amaze much more experienced
harp players - because playing actual
melodies is usually considered 'advanced'

[usually harp players just learn some
bends and chords on the low end at first, and
some manage to never really learn
the notes on the upper end]

you will be able to do it almost right away

so if there is some song your guitar player
wants do in B, just get and E harp and go
for it

wle.

Re: Re: What key should I get my next accordion in?

Pictures ! We want pictures !

Re: What key should I get my next accordion in?

Ooh! Don't get a Bb!! That key is MURDER on the voice!! It's always either too high or too low for everyone. Definitely get the D, and an E is always fun, too. That's my advice.

SDS

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!