Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Does anyone here own a Monarch, Sterling, or similar accordion....

Sounds like sacrilege to me. Take a bunch of arriette's and pimp them up. Leave the historic stuff alone.

Re: Re: Re: Does anyone here own a Monarch, Sterling, or similar accordion....

I don't want to hurt the historical instruments, I want to restore them, measure them, and just figure out what makes them tick. Plus having an old Sterling to play would be a very rewarding experience I think.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Does anyone here own a Monarch, Sterling, or similar accordion....

I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to what was said about the other guy.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Does anyone here own a Monarch, Sterling, or similar accordion....

I've played several Monarch's, Sterlings, an Eagle Brand, never played a Globe, but held a couple of the parts that belonged to one, I've also played, Joe Falcon's Eagle Brand. The thing that makes them so unique is the reeds they used. The type of steel used, the way they were made, they have a timbre to them that no reed that is currently made can match. There are some builders who can get really close, but can't get it on the mark. 90% of all of the builders use the same measurments on frames, bass boxes, reed blocks etc. as the "tit' noir's". Other than that, they use air, mostly because they are so old, and the bellow's aren't near what we have today, but are really fun to play anyway !!!

Re: Does anyone here own a Monarch, Sterling, or similar accordion....

bb,

that bloke Eezy's site, where he has old accordions for sale, is listed above. As he says as a disclaimer, don't get your hopes up cause there are no Sterlings or Monarchs. Give him a shout, neverthe less. May have to contact an antique musical instrument dealer in Germany to find one.
JB

Re: Does anyone here own a Monarch, Sterling, or similar accordion....

Had one that came from the LeJeune family; sold it to a guy used to come around here. Even after it was repaired and tuned up, it was hard to play and pretty wheezy. Similar in some ways to an Ariette.

The old guys really had to work to get that sound you hear on their records. But the reeds were pretty great, easy to break and not very loud.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!