Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: I am considering getting a Bm..

any chance you could link us to some Bb accordion music? Not sure I ever heard any.

Hal

Re: Re: Re: I am considering getting a Bm..

I have an extra Bb box.. I may be tempted to sell..

glenn

Re: Re: Re: Re: I am considering getting a Bm..

can you post or email some pictures? How much?

Hal

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I am considering getting a Bm..

Have an interested Brave already.. but if there is a change in mind .. will re-post. Send email to my address above for eventual photos.

Thanks.. G.

Re: Re: Re: I am considering getting a Bm..

Hi Hal,

If you listen to any zydeco recorded since the early 90's, you will find a bunch that used a Bb accordion. Boozoo, Beau Jocque, Keith Frank, Zydeco Force, Step Rideau, Brian Jack - the list goes on an on. A lot of these guys use other key accordions too, but Bb became more-or-less standard at that time, and continues today.

Some of the Cajun players have used it too. Steve Riley comes to mind. I have heard Reggie Matte use one on recordings too, and I know there are others. It is more rarely used on the Cajun side of things however.

-David

Re: I am considering getting a Bm..

Have you tried singing to a Bb? Or has the person who sings for you? I'd suggest you try it out first. I have a pretty broad range and I can't sing anything when played on a Bb. It's always too high or too low. May I suggest you consider an E? Just a thought.

Re: Re: I am considering getting a Bm..

I have the same problem with Bb.. which for lots of guys is the perfect solution for singing. I too have a broad range..but can handle E, as Sarah suggests..

Good luck..

Glenn

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!