Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: newbie - beginner accordion

Toby,

Thank you for your reply.

Where might I find a second hand German made for $200-400? I've looked but not seen any.

Ken

Re: newbie - beginner accordion

Ken,
Here is The Brown Box its own-self right on good ole e-bay for probably less than $ 70.00. I played one for 3 years and learned just enough to be dangerous on my new hand made LA unit. The one shown was probably owned by a little old lady who only used it to play hymns on Sunday. Go get 'em!
JB

Re: Re: newbie - beginner accordion

JB,

Thank you for the link. I'll give it a shot.

Ken

Re: newbie - beginner accordion

I have one just like it. I bought it to screw around with while my handmade was being hand made. I learned how the bellows worked along with the air button and playing the scale in octaves. I still play it but it tires you out quickly. Good with beer drinking and watching the smoker filled with ribs!
They are cheap
you get what you pay for
craig

Re: Re: newbie - beginner accordion

this discussion again---- well once again i remind all that an ariette is great for a newbie because it is a whole lot quieter than a handmade... the neighbors will thank me for encouraging you to buy one.

as far as cost--- pay up to $125 for a cajunasian box---no more! There are a lot of em out there iolite, bon ton, ariette, etc etc. keep watching ebay, but do not pay 3-400 for a new one from a reputable dealer! You will still be diddling around with it to get it to play almost immediately.

lastly- there are some really fine 2-rows out there that sell way under value because they are not hot right now. The best is an erica or even better a 3-reed corso, but there are plenty of weltmeisters, delicias, bandmasters, german-made no-names, italian no-names, and even an occasional top brand italian 2-row that go very cheap, and are fine musical instruments (which the ariette class is not).

Re: Re: Re: newbie - beginner accordion

Soundhound,

A apologize for bringing up this discussion again. I imagine it can get old, quick.

One solution to this problem is a FAQ sticky at the top of the threads. If all points of view have already been expressed, I'd be happy to compile them for the group. Of course, I can only quote others because my p.o.v. isn't informed enough. But I've done this for other discussion groups and it is pretty easy. If there is interest, I can start a new thread and people can just submit links to the most informative "beginner/newbie/should I buy an arriette/morelli?" posts.

ken

Re: Re: Re: Re: newbie - beginner accordion

JUST LOOKED AT EBAY--- HERE'S CHEAPIE THAT MIGHT JUST BE A GOOD ONE--- sound like the bellows may need a little tape,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Key-C-F-black-accordian_W0QQitemZ290103641809QQihZ019QQcategoryZ16218QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: newbie - beginner accordion

Thanks for the heads up. But I just put a (modest) bid on the ebay item JB alerted me to.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: newbie - beginner accordion

De nada, Ken.
But, I think maybe somebody else on this forum is trying to outbid you. What the heck, what's another
buck. Keep it rolling. Anything less than a C note for a French Chinese C key squeeze is a sweet deal.
JB

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: newbie - beginner accordion

it just went for $305. Go figure.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: newbie - beginner accordion

Ebay provides vast evidence to disprove one of the fundamental principles of economics, which is that people act rationally in their own economic self-interest.

-David

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!