Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Question for you double/triple row players

On the second link you can see Rosie Ledet playing a two-row accordion.
Maybe you can see what's she's doing.
She's playing a lot on the push.

Re: Re: Question for you double/triple row players

Yeah, its a little hard to see what she's doing, between the resolution and all.

I took the grill off of my accordion before I had this instructor show me some tunes. That way, I could see the flappers.

This doesn't always work with a triple row because of the calesthenics they have to do to fit that 3rd row of flappers in the box.

if you follow the link you can see some movies of two rowplayers.
be sure to watch the second movie from the top:

Mark Sönghen in Medemblik.

if you scroll a bit down you see more movies with Mark preforming ( tip: there`s more pretty girls than one)

in my opinion one of the best, if not the best, depends on what you like.

just sit back and enjoy

I couldn't see his fingers, but I like the bluesy sound of his playing.

Dwight,

I play a Dino Baffetti triple-row, new to me last May, so the learning curve has been steep. I've played single-row for 11 years. The DB is a 4-reed instrument with the reeds set up LMMM, different than the single-row LMMH. For me, the essence of the triple-row sound is playing across the rows, playing blends and chords that are not possible on the one-row. I therefore find myself not playing as many octaves on the 3-row for a few reasons: because of cross-row hand positions, because of the greater oomph that's needed to propel the bellows (you're moving a lot more air and considerably more weight with the bellows hand on a 3-row than on a one-row), and because the "color" that comes from playing in different ranges and different keys is more distinct on the 3-row when you hold back on the higher notes for musical peaks. In other words, I don't add the upper octave to every melody line, because I typically save it for later in the song. Every time I pick it up, I learn something new about the triple-row. My only slight regret is that I didn't opt for the 80 or 120 button bass side. It'd be cool to have all those built-in chords and bass notes that come with the stradella bass setup (standard on piano accordions).

I think the stradella bass is easier to play, with its circle of fifths setup. However, if I lose my place, all is lost.

Re: Re: Re: Question for you double/triple row players

Here is a link (#2) to a version of Bluerunner played on a 3 row accordion. I play a one row, but have been thinking of gettin a three row. The Baffetti 3 row mentioned here looks like the one Corey Ledet plays: it has three rows but only 12 buttons on the bass side.
What is a stradella bass? Is this the accordions with many buttons on the bass side?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Question for you double/triple row players

Yes, stradella bass is what you see on piano accordions. Since we play I-IV-V mostly in Cajun, stradella can be great, if you can keep your fingers where they need to be.

Circle of 5ths gives the chord layout thusly (an excerpt):

.....F C G D A E....

So, if you're playing in key of C, you have your F/C/G chords all right there. Same thing for key of G, C/G/D.

But man, if I ever lost my place, it was all over. There is one button, middle C I think, which has a grooved head on it, but its only on one row. If you're poking around on the wrong row, nada.

I watched the vid. That's the song. However, that particular accordion had a strong calliopesque sound to it. Perhaps she was just playing single notes. Sort of looked like it. Or it was a midi.

She sure knew where the right buttons were though.

One thing about playing Bluerunner. Its you, lead instrument, the whole time, no breaks.

Hi Dwight,

It's hard for me to make a generalization, but I certainly do play octaves on the triple row if I feel like it and it fits the music. I don't think I would say that octaves are more or less important between the single row and the triple row. I think it has more to do with the particular tune than it does the instrument.

I play Blue Runner on the triple row, and it is inherently necessary to go across the rows for several reasons. I am not sure where you would want to play octaves in that tune? It doesn't seem to fit the tune, and might even be physically extremely difficult or virtually impossible anyway, because of the fast tempo. Frankly, it never occurred to me to even think of trying it with octaves - maybe I should give it a try, but in the end, I doubt that I would try to use a lot of octaves. But, hey, that's just me. If you hear the tune that way and it works for you, go for it.

-David

Ok, here's how I am playing it now:

Starts out on the very high keys for the first riff, then moves to the middle of the keyboard for the next riff, then jump to the bass end of the keyboard. I have a G/C accordion, which is going to be a bit different in numbering than a 3-row, but I was shown to start to play that riff with G.3' G.4 G.5 G.4/G.5 and then the rest of the riff. And right now I can't remember the proper direction on playing these. I know the G.3 is the opposite direction from the others.

Anyway, playing this single finger is awkward. If I play it like walking the octaves, it is monumentally easier there. I'd have to have the accordion with me to detail this out. I'm going by memory, so that's iffy.

Not sure if this makes any sense. I'd have to double check my directions before I could tell you how I was playing the octaves.

I THINK it starts: G.3/7' G.4/7 G.5/8

Re: Re: Re: Question for you double/triple row players

Dwight , I've only just picked up on your multi row thread. You've got me interested, but what IS Blue Runner? Who by? I've never heard of it.

BJ

Geno does it on his "Everybody's Dancing" cd. But its originally a fiddle tune by Bebe Carriere. I've read that it was his attempt at playing Bluegrass. Its a great song, and though it loses something when translated over to the accordion, just being able to do it is great.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Question for you double/triple row players

Thanks Dwight - I'll look out for it. After I posted, I googled it to try to learn more. Found out a blue runner is a fish. What with that and the gros bec, I might not be improving my playing, but I'm sure learning some natural history!

BJ

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Question for you double/triple row players

In this case, a bluerunner is a snake, and a snake that will chase you. I never ran into, or away from, one when I was growing up in Louisiana, but I heard about them a lot.

Supposedly Bebe wrote this song after seeing his Grandmother get chased out of the chicken coop by a bluerunner snake. There is a definite chicken motif to the melody.

You must be able to hear a clip of it on Amazon, or maybe WalMart.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Question for you double/triple row players

Try on this page. It doesn't start at the beginning of the song, which is a shame because the beginning is a lot of fun. Its a similar motif, but you have to hear the whole thing.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Question for you double/triple row players

Thanks Dwight - I heard it. Very nice. I'd like to hear what you make of it.

That whole album looks pretty good.

BJ

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Question for you double/triple row players

If you're interested in Creole musicians, or history, or both, its a must have.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!