Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Finally going to go to Savoy Music Center Jam

Well we are going down to Opelousas this weekend to play some bluegrass at a church and ofcourse I'm taking my boxes to play at the church. But what I'm really looking forward to is going to savoy music center's jam Saturday morning. Its got me all excited because there just isn't any of this kind of music in N Ga. I can't figure out if I want to just video tape it, record it, play my boxes, or breakout my banjo and pick some. But I do know this that I love Louisiana and can't wait to get there and go fishing, pickin, jammin and eating gumbo. Any of you folks ever been to Savoy's in Eunice? I'm just curious How was it? Bruce Weeks

Re: Finally going to go to Savoy Music Center Jam

1) Bring a box of boudin to the jam.
2) And don't forget your credit card. The Center has a broad and deep selection of CDs I've not seen elsewhere.
3) The jam ends PROMPTLY at 11:59 AM.
4) No loitering.

I don't know the rules on video taping, but I bet that isn't in concord with Marc. I tried to get Marc to do a station ID on my digital voice recorder for my radio show upon which he refused to do... followed by a 3 minute rant on how promotion of this culture was refractory and boycotted by him. Naturally, I pulled his music from my show's playlist. I'd definitely check with him or Ann before aiming the camera at him -- or anyone at his shop.

Have you considered a morning of cheap 10 oz.'ers at Fred's as a cordial alternative?

R!CK

Hello Bruce,

Yes, we’ve attended the one time that I could.

We brought with a cold 6-pack of Budweiser and
some fresh Boudin!

Mark informed me: “We have a rule about bringing beer
into the shop .. the owner gets the first one!”

So .. when in Rome .. There we were, having a few cold
ones at 10:00 (Actually, it works quite well!)

I hope to get back as our schedule permits: it seems
that something always comes up though!

So, Big Nick gives the Savoy Jam 5-Stars.
(Your results may vary.)

Let us know what you do and how it comes out for you.

--Big

Well I'm not sure about the video either, I thought I'd just play it by ear. You know how us dumb tourist and our cameras are. Not going to stir the pudding, just want to have some fun. What is a 10 oz er at Freds? Bruce

Re: Re: Finally going to go to Savoy Music Center Jam

Oh yeah, I forgot about the camera ..

Well, it was several years ago when I was there.

Of course, I asked permission prior to taping :-)

Be careful, be polite, good luck :-)

--Big

10 oz.'er = 10 oz. can of beer. They sell 'em that size down in SLA. My guess is so that you can drink them faster... or maybe to make your hand look bigger? Maybe so they cool off quicker on ice? It's a mystery.

R!CK

If you are going to be around the area for more than
a day or so, you may also want to check into some
other jams - last time I was down there, they had a Thursday
nite thing at Nicks on 2nd in Eunice and I believe the
Blue Moon in Lafayette holds one every Tuesday or Weds.

Re: Re: Re: Finally going to go to Savoy Music Center Jam

There is also one in Opelousas on Sundays, can't remember the name of the bar at the moment.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Finally going to go to Savoy Music Center Jam

The Blue Moon jam is every Wednesday evening. And, as indicated on a thread further down, Ray Abshire tends to frequent that one.

JtO

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Finally going to go to Savoy Music Center Jam

Frenchie's in Mamou across the street from Fred's has a Jam on Saturday?? afternoons, I believe. Like at 3 p.m. Fred's is always a good time, but I enjoy Marc's jams. Never know who is going to show up there. Last time I went, Marc Savoy, Wilson Savoy, Mitch Reed (bassist from Beausoleil), Andrew Cormier, and a crap load of other people were there. Lots of fun

Check the third link (The Patsy Report), also pasted in below, wait about 5 seconds for the splash page to go away, and then search the word "jam" and you'll find several. You might want to call first. I went to the Saturday Jam at the Coffee Break in Breaux Bridge two weeks in a row, right after the Zydeco Breakfast at Cafe Des Amis (one block away), and found it to be a really fine time. There's usually a professional musician leading or participating. David Greeley from the Mamou Playboys and Gina Forsyth from Bruce Daigrepont's band were there.

The Patsy Report:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cajunzydeco/zydemagic/thepatsyreport.htm

Reading this post and these replies was a lot of fun!! I hope you'll all have a great time at any of the Savoy Music Center jams. What's posted above is all true--you'll be an automatic friend to all if you walk in with a box of boudin or some cold beer (check out Eunice Poulty, just a bit further into Eunice on Hwy 190 for the best boudin around!!), there are a ton of great CDs there (and you might get lucky and find some vinyl, if that's your thing), and you never know who's going to show up--Mike Doucet, Steve Riley, Mitch Reed, etc.

As for video cameras, I spent about ten years working there, selling CDs every Saturday morning, and my advice to you is to go ahead and film whatever you want, just be low-key about it. I mean, don't go walking up in people's faces and standing in the middle of the musicians or anything. And make sure it's just a little Handycam or something like that. Everyone's there just to chill and play music, catch up with friends, and enjoy the morning, not to think they're going to be on TV or something!

OH! And Dad's 66 years old, okay? And he's been fighting with everyone about keeping the culture alive and keeping it from commercialization (or, as he would put it "*******ization") for all those years, so maybe he's kinda sensitive to it. He has his moods, but, hey! He's Cajun! We're all known for being moody--isn't that part of our charm?? Don't let it get to you :)

Sarah

Re: My short clip of Sat. jam at Savoy Music Center & question for Sarah

For the ones who have never had the opportunity to drop by, here's a short clip I captured last year as I dropped by Marc's shop during Balfa camp last year. This should give you an idea of the ambiance.
What was particularly interesting about the format of this jam session was that less experienced musicians are invited to participate, as long as they they take a lower profile in the back and let the most experienced musicians lead. Great way to learn from the best while giving an opportunity to the more amateur to improve.
On a funny anecdotal note, I had my box with me, and I asked Marc if I could play (in the back of the room of course)... He said sarcastically: "We don't play music here!"

Sarah: Nice to see you're joining us on this forum. I've checked out your MySpace page. Your band has a nice sound. I understand Bonsoir Catin is coming to Nova Scotia this August 4 to play at the Festival acadien de Clare. Isn't your mom is part of that band? If so, is Marc coming too? I talked to Marc last year, he said he had never been to Nova Scotia, but would love to go...

Salut bien... Maz

Re: Re: My short clip of Sat. jam at Savoy Music Center & question for Sarah

Hey Maz! I've checked out your videos on YouTube and enjoyed them. I wish I had my accordion here to learn some licks from you! :) Bonsoir Catin is Christine Balfa, Kristy Guidry (Guillory? I'm horrible-I always confuse her last name), and Anya Schoenegge (from the Magnolia Sisters). I don't know the bassist's name. They're a great band and from what I've seen on YouTube, it looks like their shows must be a lot of fun--they're such fun women, I can only imagine!! But, no, Mom's not in it. Dad's never been to Nova Scotia? That's strange and hard to believe, but if that's what he said it must be true. I've never been either. I'd love to go! I've heard it's so beautiful.

Re: Re: Re: My short clip of Sat. jam at Savoy Music Center & question for Sarah

Salut Sarah comment ça va? - Oh, you've got to come over this area some day and visit your motherland! lol
If you happen to visit, let me know. In Halifax, my door is alway open for my cajun cousins.
Over the past couple of years, I've had the pleasure to host several folks including some of the the Pine Leafs (Cedric, Blake, Jay & Eric as they were attending the french programme at Université Sainte-Anne) the Millers, etc and a couple of participants from this site too. It's always good fun.
So you reviewed some of my youtube clips - did you see the ones at Balfa your mom, Joel, Dirk & ?Schartz (see above)? Great souvenirs... I'm hoping to go back next year.

Sur ce, salut et à la prochaine! Maz

Re: Re: Re: My short clip of Sat. jam at Savoy Music Center & question for Sarah

She’s a confused woman who gets involved in all the action and later on falls for Roy. darth vader lingerie You made some decent points there. I appeared on the web for the issue and located most individuals will associate with with your website.

Bonsoir Catin Bassist

That would be Yvette Landry, who also plays bass with the Lafayette Rhythm Devils.

Marc Savoy is a true legend and one of the proudest Acadians I've ever had the pleasure to meet (on a few separate occasions). He's an interesting guy with a very gifted family -- in all apsects. You never know what his topic of the day is going to be, but he's gonna have one and you'll be enthralled and at times possibly rubbed the wrong way. Nevertheless a captivating guy -- and Ann is a real charm!

Check the website link #3 for a photo of my last visit!

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Finally going to go to Savoy Music Center Jam

Just a comment- I found Marc Savoy to be a very cordial guy when I visited the Savoy Music store in Eunice during the N.O. Jazzfest a few years ago.
I walked in unannounced and to my surprise Marc was right at the counter. Also, to my surprise he was ready to repair my Acadian accordion on short notice.
He picked the accordion up and played a few casual runs to check it out that sounded amazing to me. I didnt play the accordion myself while in the store, and I think he was intrigued...
he asked me "Do you play?" I assured him I did, but even though I had played in a band in Vt for 10 years, I was glad not to play after hearing the great runs he tossed off on my accordion.
He did scold me a little for the ridiculous soft case I had the accordion in, but that was warranted. Anyway,I found him to be very courteous to a stranger(me). Maybe I caught him at a good time,
or he liked the fact that I didnt rave about my playing (for good reason!)

Well we are back from Louisiana and I have to say that we had a great time eating gumbo and pickin and grinnin. We went Saturday morning to the jam at Savoy Music Center and man was it a blast. Marc Savoy played with us there and told me the banjo really fit well in their music. The room was crowded and almost everyone had an instrument and it really sounded good. Marc, Ann and their son Wilson who has the Pine Leaf Boys all played with us. Marc and me exchanged some accordion/banjo jokes that neither of us had heard each other's jokes before. He was really nice to me and Mike who played the bass for them. I got some great video and a digital recording that is so cool that I'm going to turn into a jamming cd to practice with like I do at our bluegrass jams. I really used this as a learning experience and tried to get the most out of it. Oh yeah got a cool t-shirt while I was there! If you folks are ever around the Eunice/Opelousas area on a Saturday morning between 9 and 12 you need to stop in for some fun, music, boudin and cracklins at the Savoy Music Center. Bruce Weeks

Good for you Bruce.

Bruce, I don't know if you'll get this, but I wanted to say thanks for posting about your good time at the jam. I'm happy to hear your very positive report. It's great that you got my dad's good side and enjoyed yourself. I'm also happy you to the opportunity to film while you were there, and that you had the nerve to bring out your banjo. I've seen people bring in lots of different instruments (even bagpipes) and play along, and it really adds a lot. I think, afterall, that that's what a jam is all about.

Cheers, and maybe I'll see you there one day,

Sarah

me i got some moods too he aint nobetter tham me teebooger do they drank ther

"Hey, whoz pickin the banjer here?" lol (Deliverance)the whistling guy.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!