Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The essentials

Cajun music has never not been evolving, everyone plays it a little different. What we consider traditional was probably considered newer or changing by many at the time it was recorded.

My own humble opinion is us learning folk, at least for me, should play what they like and the ones that come to them first. Some songs just come easier than others and I personally wouldnt be having fun at it if I wasnt learning songs I liked. As you learn some others come easier. My dad told me some of his usual understated wisdom that really stuck, he said the journey learning it is the most fun. Me thinks he's right. If so, I got lots of fun left.

Re: The essentials

As a Louisiana guy, I would learn and perform Jolie Blonde if I were you. And Chere Tout Toute. And a bunch more of the old ones.

Jolie Blonde has been done in a bunch of different ways, but it'd be a shame not to play it, even if you have a different arrangement.

Points made here about how you can't beat the original are well taken, but many songs have been improved upon or made interesting by someone farther down the line. We pretty much wouldn't have any Iry LeJeune if he hadn't played songs that came before him. That said, Lawrence Walker and Adam Hebert and D.L. Menard did a lot of original songs, so who knows! I am just glad you are playing

Re: Re: The essentials

I do live here in South LA. When I go to the jam sessions at Marc's, I don't really hear anyone getting up and doing something original (maybe new arrangement). I really see what ya'll are saying, but I think what I was asking got lost in translation. I know at least a few of you must like playing some traditional cajun songs, otherwise what attracted you to playing? I was just looking for some new ideas of songs to give a listen to and try to learn. The ones I play, I play b/c I like

Re: Re: Re: The essentials - Jolie Blonde

Good points all around.

I remember hearing Jolie Blonde performed at the Traildust Steakhouse in Dallas a few years ago. Naturally, they played it instumentally and did the Harry Choates version, but it was still cool to hear.

Just a quick footnote, French Canadians refer to their girlfriends as "ma blonde", regardless of her hair color.

Ma blonde est une tete rousse,

Nick B.

Re: Re: Re: Re: The essentials - Jolie Blonde

Some people in Europe think that Jolie Blonde is the hymne of Cajun Country.
So it must be an essential.
Most cajun songbooks for fiddle or accordion content often the same songs.
When starting most people see these songs as essentials.
When people play longer they discovered there own essentials.
It's depending of what they like.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The essentials - Jolie Blonde

The irony of Jolie Blon' is you see couples rush to dance to it, when the lyrics are so dang sad!? Aren't they?

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The essentials - Jolie Blonde

Depends on the perspective, I have known people who were glad when their jolie fille left for another, maybe felt a little sorry for the other guy. And like the song says, she aint the only one in this world.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The essentials - Jolie Blonde

Touché mon ami! Thanks for clearin' that up! See you soon! ~T! (R!CK)

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!