Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Well, I jumped in (to the small pond)

Congratulations Tim!

The HA-114 was my first box too, and I am still using it sometimes, even though I have better boxes.

My understanding is that the HA-114 is now made in China, and I have not played one of those. But I can definately state that the one I have is *vastly* superior to an Arriette. It is probably still true, even with the HA-114 being Chinese made. Let's put it this way: it is hard to imagine that any accordion could be worse than an Arriette!

Good luck and have fun.

-David

Thanks folks for the thoughts.

While the Arietta got mixed reviews, it seemed there were very few complaints about the HA-114 (given it's price point). As Marc sells it for about $200 less than anyplace else I could find, and it was only $200 more than the Arietta, it just seemed to make sense to me.

But lets hope I don't catch the bug too bad!!! I've got about a dozen guitars. If I get get the bug, I'll probably end up with a few hand mades. I can't afford it!!!

Re: Re: Well, I jumped in (to the small pond)

Tim,
Does the 114 you bought have spoons or buttons of bass (left hand)?
Within that price range, if you're not ready to buy a real LA-made, did you consider a Gabanelli Cajun King? You can get a new one for around $800 all in. THey're not bad at all, and much superior to the Ariette-type.
Maz

The 114 has spoons. Lyne Anne Hyde was telling me great things about the Gabbanelli, but I gotta stop the bleeding somewhere!

I talked myself up from a $300 arietta to a $500 HA-114. It's a slippry slope. $300 -> $500 -> $800 -> Handbuilt...

I do absolutely appreciate the thought!!! THANK YOU!

Tim, believe me, the accordion you now have has made a career for some great players in the past. You can play it with pride, and you won't go anywhere you would have to be embarrassed about it. You can spend more money, but the music is in the playing, not the instrument. And this from a guy who has owned 6 name brand, handmade LA boxes, and hopes to own more. Play it, enjoy it, and you're on the right track.

Re: Re: Re: Well, I jumped in (to the small pond)

Chuck is right. It's all about how you play. But gosh I hate these ?&*(*+?%$% spoons!

I just have to step in here. The Gabs have an anemic sound, and are probably really only worth about $500.

If you had buyers remorse, or wanted to trade up to a handmade by selling the Gab, you probably couldn't get $500, if you could find a buyer.

Bang on that Hohner, and save your money for the big league.

Dwight

man i tell yall whay would somebodby want to jumps in a pond was you dranken must of been i aint never herd somethin like that befors i keep my cows out of the ponds causes the tutles will bite there **** off and she wont be no moore good--teebooger

Well, ya see teebooger, We don't have turtles in Oregon!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!