Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: My short clip of Sat. jam at Savoy Music Center & question for Sarah

Hey Maz! I've checked out your videos on YouTube and enjoyed them. I wish I had my accordion here to learn some licks from you! :) Bonsoir Catin is Christine Balfa, Kristy Guidry (Guillory? I'm horrible-I always confuse her last name), and Anya Schoenegge (from the Magnolia Sisters). I don't know the bassist's name. They're a great band and from what I've seen on YouTube, it looks like their shows must be a lot of fun--they're such fun women, I can only imagine!! But, no, Mom's not in it. Dad's never been to Nova Scotia? That's strange and hard to believe, but if that's what he said it must be true. I've never been either. I'd love to go! I've heard it's so beautiful.

Re: Re: Re: My short clip of Sat. jam at Savoy Music Center & question for Sarah

Salut Sarah comment ça va? - Oh, you've got to come over this area some day and visit your motherland! lol
If you happen to visit, let me know. In Halifax, my door is alway open for my cajun cousins.
Over the past couple of years, I've had the pleasure to host several folks including some of the the Pine Leafs (Cedric, Blake, Jay & Eric as they were attending the french programme at Université Sainte-Anne) the Millers, etc and a couple of participants from this site too. It's always good fun.
So you reviewed some of my youtube clips - did you see the ones at Balfa your mom, Joel, Dirk & ?Schartz (see above)? Great souvenirs... I'm hoping to go back next year.

Sur ce, salut et à la prochaine! Maz

Re: Re: Re: My short clip of Sat. jam at Savoy Music Center & question for Sarah

She’s a confused woman who gets involved in all the action and later on falls for Roy. darth vader lingerie You made some decent points there. I appeared on the web for the issue and located most individuals will associate with with your website.

Bonsoir Catin Bassist

That would be Yvette Landry, who also plays bass with the Lafayette Rhythm Devils.

Re: Re: Re: Finally going to go to Savoy Music Center Jam

Marc Savoy is a true legend and one of the proudest Acadians I've ever had the pleasure to meet (on a few separate occasions). He's an interesting guy with a very gifted family -- in all apsects. You never know what his topic of the day is going to be, but he's gonna have one and you'll be enthralled and at times possibly rubbed the wrong way. Nevertheless a captivating guy -- and Ann is a real charm!

Check the website link #3 for a photo of my last visit!

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Finally going to go to Savoy Music Center Jam

Just a comment- I found Marc Savoy to be a very cordial guy when I visited the Savoy Music store in Eunice during the N.O. Jazzfest a few years ago.
I walked in unannounced and to my surprise Marc was right at the counter. Also, to my surprise he was ready to repair my Acadian accordion on short notice.
He picked the accordion up and played a few casual runs to check it out that sounded amazing to me. I didnt play the accordion myself while in the store, and I think he was intrigued...
he asked me "Do you play?" I assured him I did, but even though I had played in a band in Vt for 10 years, I was glad not to play after hearing the great runs he tossed off on my accordion.
He did scold me a little for the ridiculous soft case I had the accordion in, but that was warranted. Anyway,I found him to be very courteous to a stranger(me). Maybe I caught him at a good time,
or he liked the fact that I didnt rave about my playing (for good reason!)

Re: Finally going to go to Savoy Music Center Jam

Well we are back from Louisiana and I have to say that we had a great time eating gumbo and pickin and grinnin. We went Saturday morning to the jam at Savoy Music Center and man was it a blast. Marc Savoy played with us there and told me the banjo really fit well in their music. The room was crowded and almost everyone had an instrument and it really sounded good. Marc, Ann and their son Wilson who has the Pine Leaf Boys all played with us. Marc and me exchanged some accordion/banjo jokes that neither of us had heard each other's jokes before. He was really nice to me and Mike who played the bass for them. I got some great video and a digital recording that is so cool that I'm going to turn into a jamming cd to practice with like I do at our bluegrass jams. I really used this as a learning experience and tried to get the most out of it. Oh yeah got a cool t-shirt while I was there! If you folks are ever around the Eunice/Opelousas area on a Saturday morning between 9 and 12 you need to stop in for some fun, music, boudin and cracklins at the Savoy Music Center. Bruce Weeks

Re: Re: Finally going to go to Savoy Music Center Jam

Good for you Bruce.

Re: Re: Finally going to go to Savoy Music Center Jam

Bruce, I don't know if you'll get this, but I wanted to say thanks for posting about your good time at the jam. I'm happy to hear your very positive report. It's great that you got my dad's good side and enjoyed yourself. I'm also happy you to the opportunity to film while you were there, and that you had the nerve to bring out your banjo. I've seen people bring in lots of different instruments (even bagpipes) and play along, and it really adds a lot. I think, afterall, that that's what a jam is all about.

Cheers, and maybe I'll see you there one day,

Sarah

me i got some moods too he aint nobetter tham me teebooger do they drank ther

"Hey, whoz pickin the banjer here?" lol (Deliverance)the whistling guy.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!