Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sam Bros

I have a video titled 'Zydeco Night and Day', which opens with the older Sam brothers explaining the difference between C and Z.
One of them is playing a two row box, which looks something like a Hohner Pokerwork, painted light blue. He's playing in F, and the F note looks like 4th button on the pull( inner row). He's crossing rows, so is it a G/C? He's alternating on the bass side between the two lower, inner buttons ( closest to the bellows ).

The song goes something like -

Heeey, lookey yonder who's calling me
What'm I doin' with a woman like that when ya see
Who's callin' me.

I don't care what the people they say
I'm gonna do it anyhow

etc.

Can anyone name it, and tell me where I can find a recording?

BJ

Re: Sam Bros

That video is the only time I've heard that tune by Ambrose. It's very cool and has almost a droning quality to it -- I'd almost guess that accordion has one of those "club" notes on it where it's the same on the push and draw? Dunno -- just a hunch.

The only recorded Ambrose Sam stuff I have is on a vinyl 12" release by Arhoolie (or Rounder?), I believe, back in the 80's. It features Ambrose on one side and Preston Frank on the other, but that song you are referencing is not on it. Since my vinyl collection is not in front of me at the moment, I couldn't be certain.

You gotta love the shadows on the barn wall and the chickens running around in that video segment! Just too fricken cool!

R!CK

Re: Re: Sam Bros

Where can I get the video, and does it show enough of him playing to help you play the song?

I have the same LP. Arhoolie. "Zydeco Vol. 1".

Re: Re: Re: Sam Bros

"Zydeco Nite And Day" -- I've got it on VHS and had if for many years. I think it's "Nite" or it might be "Night" whatever. It's a very good movie; granted it's a bit antiquated, but nevertheless with guys like Ambrose Sam on it, it's a gem. It doesn't really focus a great deal on Ambrose's playing long enough to catch what he's doing, but if you can rewind a slow-mo it, betcha you can figure it out. I'd check louisianamusicfactory.com to see if they have it -- or can order it. R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sam Bros

Thanks Rick and Dwight,

It's Nite'n'Day in the title. If I'd waited and checked the credits before posting I'd have seen the song was called ' She's Calling Me'.

Andy W gave me a copy. Not sure if Andy still checks this board. I believe he got it from an English guy he bought a Bb Charlie Ortega box from. I think the guy was the one who produced the vid, or had something to do with it.

BJ

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!