Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Any updates from Balfa Week?

Big Nick,

While I am not attending the camp itself this year, I do live right down the road. I have been most nights and all day Saturday and Sunday. The band line up has been great. There are about 104 campers this year and I have met quite a few of them. I missed Monday night with Ray Abshire and Friends b/c of some obligations, but Steve Riley rocked the crowd Tuesday night. I see him at least once a month around here and this was maybe his best performance EVER. Great show. Missed Geno last night b/c of the weather (too much mud). Pine Leaf Boys will close it out tonight and I'm sure they'll do it in style. The Saturday line up was good, although there didn't seem to be as much stuff as last year. There was one little stage set up that had some little workshops and a jam tent right next to it. Do you recall last year how they had a few tents set up down the road from the Main Stage? Not this year. The workshops and jam session were at the far end of the parking lot directly in front of the Main Stage. I liked the spread out set-up last year, but it was still fun. Cold beer, good food, and great music. Not a bad combo!!

Joey

Re: Re: Any updates from Balfa Week?

I'm thinking about it every day.....I wish I could teleport myself...

Re: Re: Re: Any updates from Balfa Week?

It would have been worth it at twice the price. It was a great way to kick off the festival season.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Any updates from Balfa Week?

Transcendant experience! The afternoon master sessions in the dining tent were ultra-excellent: Savoy Family Band (Marc with is comedian hat on, and a whirling dervish inside his accordion); Nolton Simien...old Creole with stories to tell; Mitch Reed and Michael Doucet...nothing but fiddles. Ray Abshire's class was well worth it. Ann Savoy's singing sessions were very enjoyable as she has a great sense of fun combined with formidable erudition. Pat Mould's cooking. The unstoppable Executive Director Todd Mouton and his lovely wife Jennifer; the staff who worked from before breakfast to late in the jam hours.

And the un-planned events like Goldman Thibodeaux stopping by for lunch and checking out a certain person's (not mine) old Shine Mouton...loving it enough to get a half-hour jam going with moi on the tit' fer.

Just an amazing time with people proud of their traditions and happy to share

Steve Blais

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Any updates from Balfa Week?

That thing works like a time machine.

If you've got any pictures of you on the tit' fer along with Goldman, I'd love to have a copy.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!