Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Quality Cajun accordions in UK

Unless he changed Eric Martin's accordions look more like Castagneri accordions than Louisiana or Quebec models. The keyboards are also much the same as the Castigneri.

Re: Re: Re: Quality Cajun accordions in UK

Malcolm Manning wasn't building accordions anymore when I saw him last year, but he still repairs and tunes them.

Where are you in the UK, Paul? I have 4 accordions by different builders (all Louisiana builders) you can have a look at if you want to get the idea of how they feel.

I would recommend buying from Louisiana rather than Europe (Eric Martin etc.) not because they are inferior builders, but because the pound is so strong against the dollar they are cheaper.

The accordion I bought last year worked out at just short of £1000 (including shipping and import taxes), about the same as the one I bought 17 years ago when the dollar was much stronger.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Quality Cajun accordions in UK

Thanks for all the responses everyone!

I am Cambridge based in the UK.

I will check out the European builders also that were mentioned; thanks for the links.

This is a very helpful group.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Quality Cajun accordions in UK

Paul

I'm in Darwen (near Blackburn) if you ever make it up this way you are welcome to try out my boxes.

I've a Martin (Jnr not Eric), Acadian, Bon Cajun, and an Anthony Falcon.

I know one or two European players have replaced Castagnaris and Eric Martins with Louisiana boxes so I assume there must be a difference but I guess you'll only know by comparing them.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Quality Cajun accordions in UK

I'll be selling a Falcon C and a Martin Bb soon and am in Italy if you are interested.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Quality Cajun accordions in UK PHIL

Hi Phil

Your name sounds familiar. Do you play in a band over here?

BJ

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Quality Cajun accordions in UK PHIL

I think my name might be familiar because I think you've asked me the question before on the forum.

I used to play with an American Old Time square dance band and played the odd Cajun tune on accordion, but I mainly played 5 string. I have never played with a full blown Cajun band.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Quality Cajun accordions in UK PHIL

You may be right, Phil. Amneeja is setting in.

You may be right. Did I say that already? Who am I?

BJ

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!