Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: accordina makers

Maz is right, they are German made - I actually saw one the other
day, being played by a group called the Shifty Sailors from Whidbey Is WA.
Here's their website: http://weltmeisteronline.com/

The office of the Louisiana Secretary of State has compiled a list of accordion builders from Louisiana, though Maz has pointed out some of the best known.

The link is listed above. Also, Jude Moreau (who frequents this board) is a well known accordion maker from the Texas side of the Tex/LA border.

Re: Re: accordina makers

I think you meant to say that Jude Moreau is from Texas, La.

A few more Maz missed

Greg Mouton , Crowley, La. Mouton brand
Randy Falcon-Scott La. Falcon brand
Jude Moreau-Groves, Tx. Bon Temps brand
All of them are top notch.

Weltmeister's are German made boxes, and not too bad, definitely better than a Hohner. If you can afford a LA box, by all means get one, but a Weltmeister would be a good starter box. If I remember correctly they go for around $800 or so. I had a Weltmeister 3 row and loved the thing, shouldn't have sold it. As far as accordion makers, the only ones I have tried are Bon Cajun, Martin, and Savoy, I personally like the Bon Cajun, and Martin boxes, but old Savoy's are apparently really good. Martin accordions a slightly heavier I think, so you gotta have strong hands to get a good sound out of them, but it's worth it, they are loud, and have a good tone to them.

Re: Re: accordina makers

I play a Harmona, it`s also made by Weltmeister, over here they are a little cheaper than Weltmeister.

I`ve played both ,but i like the Harmona better.
Mine is retuned, and that sounds fine.

Still saving up for a real box though.

Wilfred

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!