Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Double Straps--Ain't Cajun?

Yeah,

I play with two straps. Also there is a strap for my thumb AND each finger. My neck is strapped onto the box for good measure and lately I've been sporting a strap around the waist.

Naturally, just to be sure I'm ok, each leg is strapped to the wall behind me in case I lean forward too much over the stage. I don't worry too much about that, though, cuz each arm is double-strapped to a special system of nets that surround the protective cage in which I perform.

Did I mention that the bellows are attached to my stomach with velcro and that my fourth finger is permanently crazy-glued to the chanky chank button?

Just kiddin', man. I think it's important to be comfortable when you play, particularly for long gigs. Marc Savoy always plays without a strap but I don't find that too comfortable.

Nick B

Re: Re: Re: Double Straps--Ain't Cajun?

At least you didn't mention the rubber underwear.

I needed that!

R!CK

Re: Double Straps--Ain't Cajun?

'Tis all about how you sound.

Re: Re: Double Straps--Ain't Cajun?

If it works for you go with it. Mark plays sitting down and that is what works for him.

FWIW ..

I've seen players in Louisiana use 2-straps.

And, more recently, I've had some players offer
the solution of placing the shoulder strap over
the opposite shoulder.

Authenticity seems so subjective sometimes.

Do you suppose your audience would have issue with
the nature of your shoulder strap orientation

--Big

Strapped

I am strapped for cash. That's Cajun.

Do whatever is comfortable for you. I have never heard anybody ever comment negatively on such a thing. You will be different that the majority, but who cares. Most players don't use two shoulder straps because we use the thumb strap. If you don't strap your thumb in (like the triple row players) then you need two straps or the accordion will not be anchored. The thumb is what anchors the right side of the accordion and is what keeps the left side bellow movement from moving the keyboard side. If you feel more secure with two, then use it, but you shouldn't really NEED ANY straps if you right thumb is used in the "Cajun" method properly. But you need to do what works for you...everybody's body/shoulders are different.

Re: Sliding straps

For those of you that are having trouble with the strap slipping off of your shoulder, I recommend having a strap made with the suade side on the "inside" (against your shoulder.

I had Danny Dyson make me one and it is great!
It "sticks to your shoulder and no more sliding straps!

Really makes a difference.

DP

Double strap sighting.

I have seen pictures of zydeco great Roy Carrier using double straps.

Like others have said, there is a lot of variety in what people do with their straps. Go with what works for you.

-David

Re: Double strap--thank you all.

I really appreciate everyones feedback and encouragement. I have found that if I split my 3/4" strap down the middle, I can play either single or double strap. But, I prefer double strap. I can double strap and walk around and play all day--now my wife and dog can't hide from me. Also, I want to let Chris Miller know that I finally transcribed and learned Frisco Zydeco--a conjunto sound. Now if I can just get it up to speed. Thanks Chris.

Re: Re: Double strap--thank you all.

Congratulations on Frisco! If you can, send me a little recording of you playing it. chris@bayouroots.com

Re: Double strap sighting.

Doesn't he play a triple row, though.

Re: Re: Double strap sighting.

I play all my cajun and tex-mex and Chris's Frisco Zydeco on my single row. I only play a single row. Chris was very encouraging and yes it can be done. My Martin is wet tuned 5 cents and I close #1 and #2 reed banks. You get a pretty authenic sound. If you dig a little you will find that the single row was used for conjunto in the beginning but soon switched to the double row. You can still find a few old timers like Wally Gonzales who play some conjunto on a single row. He also plays a mean toy accordion.

He plays both.

Roy plays single and triple row, or at least he used to.

-David

Hey Alexander,

Two straps may not look "cajun" but if its any comfort the accordion is not "cajun". We "adopted" it back a few years ago. Like everyone says, nobody cares what it LOOKS like, its the sound that gives us the warm fuzzies.

I play with two straps(one over each shoulder) and center my thumb behind the keyboard. Been playing like this since 85 and I'm passing a good time.

Bon Chance
Nelson Trahan

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!