Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Balfa 2006 Ray and the Chanky Chank button?

R!CK,

Thanks for the official word!

As much as anything, I was curious if Ray was
mentioning the technique at Balfa camp ..

I guess so, eh?

Merci,

--Big

Re: Balfa 2006 Ray and the Chanky Chank button?

Ok so now I'm curious is this Chank Chank method your talking about simply (but not a hard rule) the rocking of an octave note during the medley? When I play Home Sweet Home I usually rock the octaves as I play it. What ya'll are describing sounds like what I'm doing. I kinda got that idea from Dirk Powell's video, but instead of playing the notes in the octave at the same t ime, I rock them back and forth so it has a double note sound. Bruce

Re: Balfa 2006 Ray and the Chanky Chank button?

Nick...glad you're following up on this facet of Ray's technique...the best example I've heard of his use of 'the button' is on his CD 'For Old Times Sake' - French 2-Step...the 7/10 really stand out as rhythm devices on that tune...

Re: Re: Balfa 2006 Ray and the Chanky Chank button?

Are ya'll referring to the 7/10 pull that I now realize is used often in Cajun music? It is a sound I couldnt figure out how the heck they were doing it until I had the pleasure of watching our very own Kirk Menier playing at my dad's house. It's a unique sound.

Can someone illustrate this "Chanky Chank button concept on YouTube the?

Alright, you've picked my curiosity. Can someone clip it and place it on YouTube so everyone can see it?

Re: Can someone illustrate this "Chanky Chank button concept on YouTube the?

Please??

A bit of clarification - other 2007 campers correct me if I'm wrong

Ray isn't talking about grabbing an octave or "rocking" between a higher note and a lower note. Specifically he means a quick in-out on the 7 as a lead into a push note, and a quick out-in as a lead into a pull note. And then sometimes this action is done on the 8 button depending on where the tune is going.

Ray advocates a pretty steady stream of eighth notes with the melody being highlighted by emphasis and chords (this is my wording, not his). There were several comrades who took video in the class (not me), so there probably will be some available once these folks catch up on their sleep and day jobs!

Steve Blais

The Chanky-Chank Button in C Songs?

I've been playing with incorporating the "Chanky-Chank" button into songs and I'm wondering if the CC button is really viable in songs played in C?

My impression is that it works well into songs in G. But it doesn't seem very easy to work it into songs in C. And it doesn't seem to sound as appropriate.

Is this the impression the rest of you have? Or do I need to re-think how/when I "chank-up" those C songs?

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!