Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Falcon Box on Ebay.

I concur with the previous comments...only question,
what key is it in?

Re: Re: Falcon Box on Ebay.

I do believe that it says "C" at the top of the page ..

Re: Re: Re: Falcon Box on Ebay.

I think I played this box at Balfa Camp once, if I recall.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Falcon Box on Ebay.

No Nick, you played mine and/or Mark Marcin's.
Don Yost

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Falcon Box on Ebay.

I got to play a Falcon at Balfa Camp last Saturday. I don't think I've ever played or heard an accordion that had a bass side that came as amazingly close to sounding like a Monarch as that one. I'd call Randy up and order one right now if I could find a way to justify the price.

John

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Falcon Box on Ebay.

Must...not...say...anything...here...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Falcon Box on Ebay.

Randy makes awesome acordions that hold their value! For the guy that said he would get one if he could justify it - my opinion is that it is a great box that not only hols it value but such an easier box to play opposed to accordions that take a lot of air to play and the construction is very well put together!
Even small details like nailing the 4 stops opposed to just gluing them and falling apart in a few weeks. The reeds are pressure tuned the old way and some believe it doesn't make a difference but look at the accordion players that play his boxes and every local studio that has had tuning problems know they need to get their hands on a Falcon box to get the session complete...at least that is what they tell me?
The inside corners that hold the finger board are screwed down and have apoxy to insure solid contruction. Also the actual buttons used to play the accordion are all screwed down not to fall off...I could go on but I think he goes the extra mile and puts a lot of pride in his work and that makes it worth the extra money in my opinion?
In saying that I think that there are several other great builders as well and not taking anything from them but just saying why I thought he made a good box and why it worth the extra?
Also the fact that he is behind his work 100% and did I mention the boxes sound great!
Hope this helps someone.

Hey John:

I thnk you may have played my Falcon...at the jam during festival with Jonno? I think you also played my fiddle for
a while. Was that you? Mark

Hey Mark,

I thought I recognized your name from the board, but I wasn't totally sure. That was your accordion and fiddle that I played in the jam tent. Both of them were great instruments but I'm definitely not going to forget the way your Falcon played any time soon. How was the rest of the camp?

John

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Falcon Box on Ebay.

That's right! I forgot. Sorry, Don.

Hope you're enjoying your boxes. I'm sure Mark loves his.

Nick B

I have to agree with Travis. I own a Martin Bb, and I manage a guy called Johnny Chauvin & the Mojo Band, he plays Falcons exclusively (2-2 key, 1-Bb).

When a reed gave a problem, I had to bring Johnny's box to Randy to fix it because we were playing that night in Franklin, so I got to sit and have a nice visit with him. I asked him about the well known subjects that comes up on here like the rounded corners on the fingerboard etc etc.

I used to think they sounded alike, but a Falcon has a sound that resonates. It's hard to describe, you just have to hear it. My next box will be a Falcon.

By the way, Travis, I design websites and do video work for a living, check out the 2 links at the top, one's my site and the other is the site I did for Johnny Chauvin . . so if ya need . . . .

Hey Nick:

I do love my Falcon...actually Falcons now. I have
a C, D, and a Bflat. Nick...missed you at camp this
year...and yes you could go back and get more food
this year. Mark

Mark,

Falcon(s)! That's amazing. I'm dying to playing one again.

I'm definitely satisfied with my two Savoys, though I don't play the A as much as I had hoped. My next purchase will be a Falcon D.

I had set aside some cash for a new accordion but my beautiful Martin guitar was smashed to bits while exiting a doorway. I purchase a Gibson J-45 acoustic as replacement/morale-booster.

See you next year for sure.

Nic B.

Re: Falcon Box on Ebay.

Where's the Martin now?

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!