Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Excellent Discussion

Ha, yeah do that - come see us when you can brother!
I am usually lost when I don't play music!ha
take care

Re: Excellent Discussion

Thx Tee! I will use your quote "For the roots to survive the branches have to grow"! Well worded and I can see the other side as well since I also love and enjoy the roots music, but it seems as though music evolves like everything else in life whether people want it to or not?
Even though our style is not that of Traditional Cajun or Creole/Zydeco we still do some traditional tunes of both styles at our shows to show the audiences that would have never heard the music how it sounds and give them a taste of the older styles that they see incorporated in our style of music.
Basically tradition is a activity or belief that existed for an extended period of time....so, with so many different styles of music coming from our area with so many unique bands that were all great and didn't sound alike...WHO, is the traditional police force in deciding what makes the grade and is considered traditional? It is all in the ear of the beholder and no two people agree the same way and similar to religion and with many religious discussions you have to agree to disagree.
Good points!

Re: Re: Excellent Discussion

I can't believe I read all of the emails regarding Travis Matte and the Kingpins.Whew!!! It made me realize just how well people can express their thoughts through what they type (I wish I could say the same for me). I am so happy that all parties responding seem to have agreed that all music has merit to somebody. Great, that has been settled. I loved hearing from Sarah. David Bertrand, I agree totally with. Travis, you present yourself so well. How can people not see how sincere you are? We'll they can't not see it, because you are sincere and thanks for being that way.
Music for me is second to only my wife and kids. It's the only work (and most of the fun)I've done all my life. Although I often feel inadequate due to the fact that I do not play an instrument. Anytime I am around people who play so well (and enjoy playing it), I am totally amazed.
I listen mostly to Cajun and Zydeco music. That doesn't mean I like it all. In fact most I don't care for (and most of the writers on this forum probably feel the same).
I can just tell you from my end, what the Kingpins are doing is terrific. They are getting young people involved in some type of South Louisiana music. Beats all the other stuff in the young people clubs (in my opinion of course). They are sleeing out shows and selling cds (which is almost impossible to do these days). Somebody must be likin' it.
I am very anxious to hear what the new cd will sound like. I might hate it. It might flop out or break the Kingpins out nationally. No one knows. But you gotta give it a shot if you are in a postion to do so.
We are so fortunate to have the opportunity to hear and see Travis Matte & the Pins, Pine Leaf Boys, Red Sticks, Mamou Playboys, Geno and to witness and be a part of the enthusiasm that the fans of these bands
have...Count me in that group.
Keep showing your support for the music you love.
...Todd Ortego

Re: Travis Matte & Robert Plant

You folks haven't got anything special, we are having the same discussions in the bluegrass world. Its amazing to me that what folks consider traditional was comtemporary in the past. Music is ever evolving in all genres and its hard to stay focused on what is the parameters of a certain type. I've mixed BeeBop and Ragtime into my bluegrass runs on the banjo and the (so called Traditionalist) give me dirty looks (mostly other banjo players)because that ain't the way Earl Scruggs did it. But hey as someone said everyone brings something to the table and fits it in somehow. Even though I wouldn't go out and buy a hip hop cut, or a Cajun/Creole/Zydeco version of hip hop or R&B I do have the choice of what I want to listen to. I wouldn't want my kids listening to such lyrics, but then again I think everyone is a product of their raising. I play alot of not traditional bluegrass type music and I understand that every musician is an artist and will bring their own special touch to a music genre. Bruce

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!