Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Great! I get to speak up!!

Sarah-san, I have the Savoy Family CD where you sing with your brother. You are a FANTASTIC singer. Doubt that I'll ever get to Louisiana, so seeing your name gives me the opportunity to say that to you. You're one of the best singers I've heard in the Cajun style. Your brother Wilson -- met him a while back in Berkeley -- is another nutso-good singer.

Okay, said it, now I'm back to work... :- (

Re: Great! I get to speak up!!

Thank you SO much, Tom!! That's very sweet of you to say. Wilson is definitely one of my favorite Cajun singers, and I don't mean to be biased on that one.

As for you accordion makers--Dwight, get on it! And the rest of you--you know? Dad torched his first on in a BBQ pit. No one is saying it's easy (I'm not ABOUT to try it!), but I guess that, just like anything else, if you really want to do it, you can. I'd LOVE to see/hear what you come up with!

I don't know if he's still in Iraq or what, but I know Zach Huval built one a few years ago. I don't know if he planned to do more, but that one was really good.

Re: Re: Great! I get to speak up!!

Maybe Zach's accordion was mistaken for a Weapon of Mass Destruction, and got us into this mess.

Re: Re: Re: Great! I get to speak up!!

Hmmm...Could that be it?

Wilson's got the funniest story about flying to a gig once. Airports, as we all know, are full of people who hardly know their jobs and take them WAY too seriously (in all fairness, maybe they're just bored?). Wilson had two accordion bags with him to carry on--soft cases, and he had to pay for the extra carry-on. Whatever. He wasn't going to check them in the soft cases, so he didn't mind paying. He gets to the security check point at the gate and the security guy is like, "Wait a minute! What cha got in there??" He pulls out a triangle and he says, "I'm sorry, but this is a weapon!! We can't let you on board with this!!"

Wilson says, "Man, that's a triangle. It's a percussion instrument."

The security guy eyes it suspiciously.

"No, seriously! It's really an instrument. Let me show you," Wilson offers, reaching for it.

The guy is intimidated by this generous offer for triangle-playing lessons and pulls the instrument back, out of Wilson's reach. "No, that's okay. Just explain it to me--"

Wilson explains. The guy still isn't sure. He calls his security manager. The big guy comes out all in camos and belts and boots and listens to the security guy explain the problem. They work out an agreement. Wilson is told to put the triangle itself in the pocket of one accordion bag, and the stick, or beater, in the pocket of the other bag. At no point during the flight is he to remove either from their respective pockets.

Jeez! And people were going on flights at this time with bombs in their shoes!! That guy with the bomb in the heel of his shoe was on some flight about a month later! It's like they thought that the separate parts of the triangle would explode when placed close together.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Great! I get to speak up!!

"It's like they thought that the separate parts of the triangle would explode when placed close together."

I've seen that happen.

Re: Re: Great! I get to speak up!!

Your dad:s shop makes the best sounding and best looking accordions, period. The tuning is fantastic, and I enjoy our rare conversations.

He also, uh, plays pretty good too... -LLL-

Unforgetable omission!

To all,

While dispensing my usual sage advice on buiding practices , I omitted, silly me, to mention to try your hands at mittering your accordion corners.

I said try your hands, because for a neophyte, mitters are not easy to do, BUT for a seasonned craftsman, they're a cinch to achieve, routine I should add.

I don't want to bore you with lots of details, but there is an abundance of litterature on the subject , that will help you achieve your goal.

BUT, let me say this, if Randy Falcon, the ultimate Cajun Luthier,( amongst a few of Cajun accordion builders whom do use this Luthier technique) does go the distance in taking the trouble of mittering the outside corners of his accordions why can't you try.

Admitetly Mr. Larry Miller didn't use mitters because they take to much time, but you have it in abundance do you?.

Using mittered joints won't make your accordion stronger, but will make it look luthier crafted, authentic,the Germans showed you the only proper way to do it, so why take a short cut.

Besides, you'll be joining the ranks of a legion of elite craftsman , so be tempted, do them.

After all you don't want you accordion to have corners like an Ikea shelve unit , do you? .

Good luck.

Claude.

Re: Unforgetable omission!

Claude is right in that miters make the accordions look more professionally made. I have a very simple jig which I use on my table saw to cut the miters and believe me when I say that this is not rocket science. Just very basic cabinet or instrument making and can't see how it takes more time to cut a miter. For those who are building their own accordion give it a try, this is very easy.

Claude, I must say that in my "apprenticeship" thus far, mitred corners have been drilled into my head !!!! Not to mention I would do them anyway, I tend to agree with the fact that it somewhat shows the caliber of the carpenter.

I too prefer the look of the mitre especially with the inlay on the top. Just preferred it over running off the ends. Cant really say that the butt joint is quicker than the mitre but for me, it didnt matter. My first accordions will probably be priced just to cover materials anyway so labor cost dont factor in this equation. I even mitred the bass boxes.
Claude, you speak of doing wood work yourself. Where can we get a look at some of your craftsmanship?
Greg

Can't hear corners...

"BUT, let me say this, if Randy Falcon, the ultimate Cajun Luthier..." Uh, no...

Re: Why Not Build Your Own?

Thought about it. I build stringed instruments, so I built an open backed banjo(one of many), sold it and commissioned Danny Dyson to make me a box using Louisiana cypress. Looks good, plays great, won't rot and darkens a bit with time. Some say cypress is not good. Think again. Now I'm seasoning wood from a cherry tree felled by a Nor'easter. Violins must be made of Maple! Think again. This one will be cherry. It will play and sound just fine.
Craig

Re: Re: Why Not Build Your Own?

And why not? You're great to be trying different woods! I don't know if it's true or not, but when I took a Louisiana Folklore Class, the instructor taught from a book that said my dad was the first to build accordions out of different kinds of wood, using only a clear varnish. I think it was a book by Barry Ancelet. I never asked my dad about it, and just took it for the truth, but it doesn't really matter. I believe it. Maybe you won't. Anyway, the point is, I think that experimentation leads to improvement, so why not? Go for it! And I'd love to see a picture of it when you're done!

As a luthier, I can only think of the purflings on a violin that have a mitered joint.

Re: Re: Why Not Build Your Own?

Craig,

Good example.

But other fretted instruments have mitters in their construction: some guitar do, and although I haven't done any research on other fretted musical instruments, i can bet that mittered joinery is indeed used.
I also know that mitter saws and a mitter blocks are part of every luthier tool box, so that speak volume to me.
A professional Luthier is well versed in wood working and metal working techniques, and that's why in Europe some build accordions as well, diatonics and others.
So when I say Luthier I meant it with the upmost respect, not as makers of fretted instuments, but musical instruments period.
A misnomner on my part,ok.
Salut a toi.

Claude.

Amatuer. Latin Amator. Devoted pursuer of an object.
I am an amatuer luthier in that the $$ pays for pleasures and the work is done for enjoyment. This does not detract from skill or talent. I have no miter saws, only dovetail. No guitar I have made or repaired uses mitered joints. Lutherie only involves stringed instruments. Those that are plucked and those that are bowed. Now a Harp may have mitered joints. Some banjo rims start with 22 1/2 deg. mitered joints and then turned round.
No more from me on joints!

Craig

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!