Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Zeaux "Records" (CDRs)

Posted here for my friend:

New! Rare recordings from the 1940s, 50s, and 60s! Zeaux Records!
Description: Zeaux Records is now offering 2 cd burns of rare recordings from the 1940s, 50s, and 60s. Volume One, Ferb's French 45s, has 28 songs on it. Some of them are featured as New! in the section of this Web site called 1950s-60s. Volume Two, featuring great Cajun Honky Tonk from the late 1940s/early 1950s, is called Hot Rod Cajun: Tanner-N-Texas: Cajun Honky Tonk: The First Recordings. Artists include Eddie Shuler & The All Star Reveliers, Lawrence Fruge & the Country Boys, Iry LeJeune & His French Accordion, Aldus Roger, Tan Benoit, Wilson Granger, Virgil Bozman & the Circle C Boys, Ernest Thibodeaux, Nathan Abshire & His Pinegrove Boys, and Cliff Lemaire & the Kaplan Swingmasters.

Great selections come from the collection of Lyle Ferbrache of Milpitas, California. For the cost of production and mailing, he can send you these cd burns from his stash of great records. Contact him at lyleferb@yahoo.com.

Highlights for me:
Volume 1: Robert Bertrand's Drunkard's Waltz. Eddie LeJeune does this with the title Boire Mon Whiskey. Bertrand's version is slower and bluesier.
Joel Sonnier's Memphis. Yeah, the Chuck Berry song in English. I love Joel's Cajun accent in this one. "Hep me operator, more than this I cannot aks."
Robert Bertrand Lost Love Waltz (to the melody of Chere Tout Toute)
Sidney Brown's Les Miseres a mon Beau Pere and La Valse des Miseres. You hear their famous endings "Bingo! Domino!" Says it all.
Marc Savoy single from Krazy Kajun (Huey Meaux) label. Rare Pee Wee Broussard (New Iberia Stomp).

Volume 2: The Hot Rod and TNT labels from San Antonio, shortly before Shuler started Goldband records. Iry LeJeune's Waltz of the Mulberry Limb in better sound quality than on the Ace Definitive Collection cd. The guitar and fiddle are much clearer.
Cliff Lemaire and the Kaplan Swingmasters in a western swing style. The steel guitar sounds very professional. Cow Island Special! And the songs by Tan Benoit, Wilson Granger and Ernest Thibodeaux all feature Nathan Abshire's Pinegrove Boys as the backup musicians. Nice remarks by Atlas Fruge on steel. You can hear how influential he was on the Cajun steel guitar style. He was the first, they say!

Re: Zeaux "Records" (CDRs)

Wow, Thanks Neal. I love that period. They sound right up my alley.

BJ

Re: Re: Zeaux "Records" (CDRs)

Guys, Ferb's stuff is really cool. My brother got his French 45 cd and there were some real gems on it. He even dug up some stuff my grandfather had done with Mr. Harrison Fontenot. Really cool. My only question is does he own the copyrights to these 45's. It was my understanding that he does. If so, that is really neat. Neal, don't some of the songs on your site come from him?

Re: Re: Re: Zeaux "Records" (CDRs)

I don't see any Harrison Fontenot on Vol. 1, Ferb's French 45s. Did you mean Maurice Barzas? If so, Valse de Meche and Eunice Two Step are old, traditional songs. Yes, about half of that cd-r is on my Web site. I haven't posted any from Vol. 2, the stuff from the TNT and Hot Rod labels. Folks will have to contact Lyle for that stuff. I give his contact information in the first post of this thread and on my Web site. Hope that answers your questions.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!