Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Steve Riley's new beginner's DVD

Yes. This is the newest that should have come out before the Waxia Special edition for want of a better title. This is what's so good about it IMHO. He plays Kaplan Waltz like he would on stage. Your reaction is, not suprisingly, wow, I'll never be able to sound like that. Then he begins by explaining the techniques that make Cajun music, well, Cajun. Octaves, Vibrato, Chords, Trills etc. Then he plays the song again, each time adding a different technique. Then, voila, he plays the stage version and you see and understand everything that goes into the song. You still say wow, and you may never be able to sound like him, but at least you finally understand how it is supposed to be done.

Re: Re: Re: Steve Riley's new beginner's DVD

OK, Johnny .. thanks for the info!

I had started working on a "Cajun Accordion 101"
DVD my self, but it sounds like I got beat to the
punch!

Maybe I can think of an angle that Steve didn't cover?

One of the most common requests that I hear (besides,
"Can you learn to play accordion on a non-Cajun
instrument?") is:

"Can you break it down *really* slowly?"
- and -
"The left hand goofs me up!"

So, I was thinking on concentrating on those aspects.

--Big Nick

Re: Re: Re: Re: Steve Riley's new beginner's DVD

Nick,
Dont you dare stop with your project. I think you could sell your dvd regardless of what Steve does on his. Dont know about the rest of the guys around here but for myself, without direct live instruction available, The ability to have several beginners style videos is priceless. Everyone seems to play slightly different and that is valuable to have in front of you as we progress with our lessons. Keep pluggin' away and let us know as soon as its ready.
Thanks again for your online production also.
Greg

Nick,
I hope you continue with your project. I would buy it. Especially if part of it focuses on the left hand.(Of course, I'm going to buy Steve Riley's and Jeffrey Broussard's too.)I like the materials on your Web site I've sometimes wished I could have them on a DVD.
Claude

Nick,

I use your site, it's great!

And yes, the left hand goofs me up! I don't need anyone to write down the notes, I like to figure them out by ear. But, geeze, for a beginner, the left hand is tough!

ken

Re: Steve Riley's new beginner's DVD

Johnny,
I looked on the Almena Films site and also on Mamou Playboys site and no mention of this new DVD. Where do you get one?
Hope to see everybody in Breaux Bridge this weekend.
I'll be one of the old guys in a Magellan fishing shirt and a straw cowboy hat.
JB

I was talking to Steve about this video yesterday and a few copies of the video were made available for the Balfa camp but that the rest of the DVDs will not be released until alittle while later. In fact the cover art has still not been completed and the cover art used for the Balfa camp DVDs are temporary and will not be the same cover art used for the rest of the DVDs.

Thanks, Jon. Good info. Will have to just wait, then.
JB

Cool! So mine will be a collector's item!!

Re: Re: Re: Steve Riley's new beginner's DVD

Yep!

No prob, your welcome.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!