Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: From a mother

And then there's "Nonc Adam's Big Banana" and "Making Love in the Chicken Coop" among others with double entendre "naughty lyrics." Previous generations loved those songs just like this generation loves Booty Call and Vibrator.

I don't have kids, but if I did, it wouldn't bother me if they listened to Travis's songs.

Count Me In

I went on iTunes to see what all the fuss was about. I bought "Dis Ain'tcha Mommas Zodico." Love it, I'm a new fan.

Re: Count Me In

Make sure you listen to the tune "Zydehop" and how different it is from anything else on the disc -- it's a pinnacle tune in the budding genre of "zydehop."

R!CK

Re: Re: Count Me In

I would like to put in my two cents being that I'm a Cajun French hip-hop artist.

To put it plainly: You can't blame rap music for bad parenting.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the album "Who Stole My Monkey" by Boozoo Chavis (1999) has a parental advisory label on it. Travis' albums do not.

---Roy---

Re: Re: Re: Count Me In

I am going to start playing Cajun Rap Music... My new name is going to be Cinquante sous!!(Not sure of spelling of cent, I just know that is how we say it when we beg for nickels for Mardi Gras)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Count Me In

P Diddy Pommier
L L Cool Jo-El
MC Marceaux

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Count Me In

Sure, you're making fun, but don't forget that kids listen to hip-hop and they like it. Evolve or be left behind.

---Roy---

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Count Me In

Vanilla Glace would work, too

Roy, I like some Rap. Hell, I like music. There isn't much that I don't listen to. I have a playlist for my truck with Keith Frank, the Stones, Kenny Chesney, Steve Riley, Travis Matte, Led Zep, Dr. Dre, and many more. My wife finds it hard to decide how to classify my lists b/c I am all over the place. lol

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Count Me In

Let not forget the forerunners in the Cajun rap genre -- Cypress City. "A Cajun is a man, that likes to have fun, he's got an accent that far from none..." Oh brutha. I still get requests for "The Cajun Rap Song" and "Hot Boudin" on my radio show for that after these years. I just can't bring myself to play those -- they are way to goofy. But "La Brise du Bayou" sounds like a band I can definitely appreciate. Very cool indeed -- thanks for the clue! Keep on innovatin'!

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Count Me In

Thanks!

Check out the girl in the gold dress in this video from 1965. You could definately say that she was shaking that thing like a vibrator way back then in the not-so-innocent 60's.

She's a vibrator.

---Roy---

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Count Me In

Dude that's outrageously groovy -- I'd tap that Man they're all vibrators -- I think I need a smoke after watching that! Thanks Roy!

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Count Me In

Gentlemen, let us compose ourselves as there are ladies reading this...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Count Me In

My sincere apologies.

~R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Count Me In

then again, if it's about doing your own thing, why concern ourselves with who may be reading it; and if we are doing are own thing, the target audience should be of no concern; sorta like Maz and Sarah have hit on, but taking it one example further. Musicians and artists (which I have neither the gift nor talent to be, so I content myself to the role of spectator and audience), do communicate -- so i'm told -- about what is going on with and and about society in that time frame. Myself, I don't know how people can look at paintings from a particular era and form conclusions about what was happening in that society at the time, but i believe it to be true nonetheless, and that Travis, as a musician, if fulfilling a role and making a record or tape that people in the future will be able to examine and form certain conclusions about society -- either as whole or as to a niche, maybe teens, young adults, whatever.

I thought an apt and current analogy that might capture, in my own words, what both Sarah and Maz have communicated, is that: To those of us who tend to feel about cajun music along the lines that Sarah does, the history, age, past, and like what we consider to be the purity of the sound, be it the vocals, the instruments, or the sense of it speaking to us of a time in the past, vs. those who thrive on the Franks, Mattes, et cet., to say that the new stuff is still "cajun" is would be akin to saying that Debbie does Dallas belongs in the same genre of film as Gone with the Wind. They're both movies, they both have actors and actresses, but I think it's safe to say that they should not be up for the same awards. I agree with Sarah and don't like people haphazardly associating everything with 'cajun music' just because it's cool or may sell the label. Matte is cool and definitely talented, more than I'll ever dream of being, but an accordion in a piece of music, sung by a cajun, doesn't qualify it to be a cajun song. Maybe a rap song sung by a cajun. Then again, i've never been one to enjoy the mindless repitition of lyrics or riffs, regardless of the music genre, and i tend to detest 95% of the rap out there because it seems that the requirement to enjoy it is that one not have a brain or no thoughts higher than getting drunk or laid

Like most contributors to this thread, i have listened to, and have cd's of bluegrass, gospel, country, rock, pop, celtic, spanish, mexicana, new age, jazz, et cet. Growing up in S. Louisiana where I was and in my environment, I only heard cajun music on saturdays, and on Fridays when i could gain entry to the VFW.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Count Me In

The horse is still breathing... hand me that rifle.

Points well taken with maximum respect to you, Matt.

What do you think of these recorded tunes by Travis Matte & The Zydeco Kingpins:

Going Up the Country
Lacassine Special
Kaplan Mix
Dear Rosa
Reno Waltz
Summer of 69
Blue Monday
Your Daddy Don't Want Me Around
Shoulda Coulda
Without You I'm Not Me
Tickle My Fiddle
I'm Happy Being Me
A Night To Remember
Tuesday's Gone

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Count Me In

I think I have that playlist...lol

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Count Me In

Exactly!!! Well put, Matt.

Who changed the spelling of your last name?

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!