Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Helpful learning material

I recently posted a request for help, and boy, did I get it. Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond, some at considerable length, some off this post. And Big Nick made a video, no less. And Sarah weighed in from France! This forum and it's contributors are awesome.

Here is a very helpful learning aid I haven't seen on this forum, at least in a long while...Steve Steinman's "Pattern Playing" books. These are not Tune books, but reference books that clearly lay out the various zones and positions on the keyboard, and patterns that are commonly played within these zones. It's very helpful when you're learning the basics...like learning the 1, 4, 5 chords on the guitar. You can then play along with anything in that key, while you learn the melody. There are charts and keyboard layouts in color, very easy to follow.

Steve has two books I know about, "Diatonic Single Row Pattern Playing" and "Three Row Diatonic Pattern Playing." Last time I checked they were $10 each, well worth it. The email I have for Steve is ncbr@att.net. Definitely worth checking out.

Re: Helpful learning material

I have both books.. found them of limited use..but they did solve some problems for me ( patterns ). I imagine we have lots of foro members who could re-write those books, or improve on them.

I would love to see someone post a permanent posting or link here regarding: all the keys that can be played on and the tabbed chord positions for boxes in all keys.

Glenn

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!