Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Unforgetable omission!

Claude, I must say that in my "apprenticeship" thus far, mitred corners have been drilled into my head !!!! Not to mention I would do them anyway, I tend to agree with the fact that it somewhat shows the caliber of the carpenter.

Re: Unforgetable omission!

I too prefer the look of the mitre especially with the inlay on the top. Just preferred it over running off the ends. Cant really say that the butt joint is quicker than the mitre but for me, it didnt matter. My first accordions will probably be priced just to cover materials anyway so labor cost dont factor in this equation. I even mitred the bass boxes.
Claude, you speak of doing wood work yourself. Where can we get a look at some of your craftsmanship?
Greg

Can't hear corners...

"BUT, let me say this, if Randy Falcon, the ultimate Cajun Luthier..." Uh, no...

Re: Why Not Build Your Own?

Thought about it. I build stringed instruments, so I built an open backed banjo(one of many), sold it and commissioned Danny Dyson to make me a box using Louisiana cypress. Looks good, plays great, won't rot and darkens a bit with time. Some say cypress is not good. Think again. Now I'm seasoning wood from a cherry tree felled by a Nor'easter. Violins must be made of Maple! Think again. This one will be cherry. It will play and sound just fine.
Craig

Re: Re: Why Not Build Your Own?

And why not? You're great to be trying different woods! I don't know if it's true or not, but when I took a Louisiana Folklore Class, the instructor taught from a book that said my dad was the first to build accordions out of different kinds of wood, using only a clear varnish. I think it was a book by Barry Ancelet. I never asked my dad about it, and just took it for the truth, but it doesn't really matter. I believe it. Maybe you won't. Anyway, the point is, I think that experimentation leads to improvement, so why not? Go for it! And I'd love to see a picture of it when you're done!

As a luthier, I can only think of the purflings on a violin that have a mitered joint.

Re: Re: Why Not Build Your Own?

Craig,

Good example.

But other fretted instruments have mitters in their construction: some guitar do, and although I haven't done any research on other fretted musical instruments, i can bet that mittered joinery is indeed used.
I also know that mitter saws and a mitter blocks are part of every luthier tool box, so that speak volume to me.
A professional Luthier is well versed in wood working and metal working techniques, and that's why in Europe some build accordions as well, diatonics and others.
So when I say Luthier I meant it with the upmost respect, not as makers of fretted instuments, but musical instruments period.
A misnomner on my part,ok.
Salut a toi.

Claude.

Amatuer. Latin Amator. Devoted pursuer of an object.
I am an amatuer luthier in that the $$ pays for pleasures and the work is done for enjoyment. This does not detract from skill or talent. I have no miter saws, only dovetail. No guitar I have made or repaired uses mitered joints. Lutherie only involves stringed instruments. Those that are plucked and those that are bowed. Now a Harp may have mitered joints. Some banjo rims start with 22 1/2 deg. mitered joints and then turned round.
No more from me on joints!

Craig

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!