Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
probably is stripped

When I say it "must" be stripped, I meant it is "probably" stripped.
the thread I mean.

If you can, take a picture

There is no glue involved with stops. This is really weird.

If you decide to open your accordion, please take a picture of the inside of the stops (upper inside of the face-place, or the right side of the accordion( It must be fixable.

email me at jfpettijohn1979@yahoo.com.

the blocks

Come to think of it.... maybe it is a glue issue. maybe the little block became unglued to the slide. I can't imagine how to fix this, except for buying some reed wax and sealing the slide up. You never want to glue the slide up, no way! At least with reed wax they have the potential to be pushed back down when being tuned.

Never get any wax on the reeds and keep a steady hand.

has to be reed wax!!!

Never use bee's wax or other waxes.

Only reed wax. Made of a combination of bee's wax and rosin.

christ, don't listen to me

I can't explain things by email. Do not mess around with your box.

If the little "stop block" became spererated with the slide, that must be extremelty hard to fix. The angles to assume to glue it must be hard.

NOTE: If I could, I'd erase those last few messeges, but there is no way to do that. Sorry.

the fix is easy

I have three Bon Cajuns and it has happened to me twice. The block that the stop is attached to is in turn glued to the wooden slide mechanism. As an aside the Gabbanelli system with aluminum slides is so much better. With changes in weather etc. the glue sometimes dries out. Remember that the design of these things is in many ways archaic. To repair open up the box and put some Gorilla glue on the parts. Push the slide up from the bottom so it is open and the knob is all the way up. Apply the glue carefully so as not to get any leakage around the sides. Then clamp and let dry. I have done this to the Bb and C and have never had another problem including playing out with them in a Zydeco band where they get banged around pretty good on stage. By the way, this leads me to another thought. I saw Curley Taylor Last week and he is playing a new Roland Midi accordion with no reeds. Why aren't there reedless one, two and three rows? You could probably make them so you could change keys with a push of a button, have a choice of sounds, (Old Sterling, Monarch, Cajun, Wet) and be able to practice silently. While the Reedless PA's don't require belows movement to get a sound you could program the diatonics to require a slight bellows movement so you keep it diatonic. YOu would only Need one single row too so it would be cheaper in the long run. Just a thought.

Re: the fix is easy

Johnny all this sounds like a great idea.....but....there is just one problem. Just who would put the money up front for development and how long would it take to get a return on investment. Firstly there is not enough demand for that type of diatonic accordion and there is a key word that you included in your comment. Cheaper!! Everyone wants wants high quality and convience for cheap. There are cajun groupes around the country who don't play in certain places because the owner of the establishment wants someone to play for cheap. So you see it is a two sided sword. When everyone wants cheap the market sorts things out. Hence, no reedless diatonic accordions.

Re: Problem with one of my stops

Maz you can fix this yourself. Try this. First remove the stop knob and rod from the small block inside the accordion. Now use an exacto knife or someting similar to remove most of the old glue from the slide and block. Then using that same knife rough up the slide and block surfaces which were glued making small scratches on each so that the glue will have something to hold on to besides slick surfaces. After this glue the block back in the same place it was using Elmers carpenters glue or similar glue. You may have to apply some weight to hold it in place. Let dry and screw the knob and rod back in place. Voila!! cest tout.

Re: Re: Problem with one of my stops

I would suggest the same as John, only thing that might be difficult is if there was glue applied to the rod before it was threaded into the block or the knob. The one thing that I am doing with the stops that I am installing, is in addition to gluing the block, I try to put 3 nails into it also so that I hopefully won't run into this problem.

Re: Re: Re: Problem with one of my stops

Interesting thread...my suggestion is never pick
up the accordion with the stops....if you 'pull' it
out of the case by the stops, or do a jerk with your wrist,
something bad could happen. I always use two hands
to remove it from the case or the left hand strap to carry mine....

Re: Re: Re: Re: Problem with one of my stops

Thanks for your input guys. I'll take a new look at it. I might fix it myself, or bring it to a buddy who's a luthier. He's good with that type of work.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Problem with one of my stops

I think that the Luthier can handle it Maz. The most critical thing is to ruff up the gluing surfaces so that the glue has something to bite onto for lack of a better term.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Problem with one of my stops

The luthier is used to fix fiddles, guitars, and all kinds of wood intruments. He's got the experience in working with fine woods, glue etc.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!