Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: How do you grab your baby?

While I occasionally do lift my accordions by the stops, I remember a workshop with Ray Abshire I attended, where he said "you should NEVER lift the accordion by the stops". Not only could the stops come off, but they could also become loose and leak air. Also you should never push them down regularlyfor the same reason.

/Gunnar

Re: Re: Re: Re: How do you grab your baby?

If I'm sitting around playing at home and close to the carpet, I lift by the stops. If I'm standing on stage, I lift by the shoulder strap. I've been lifting by the stops for years -- never had an issue.

R!CK

Re: How do you grab your baby?

It surprised me to see how common that was. And I know Larry Miller picks them up that way. It may be fine to do so, but it sure makes me cringe a little to see it.

Re: Re: How do you grab your baby?

When I started playing, I never used the stops to lift or carry the box. Then I saw several people do it, and thought it was okay. However, I won't do it again. All it takes is a little sideway pressure to damage the stop mechanism.
Plus jamais!

Re: Re: Re: How do you grab your baby?

I dunno. I think it's fine. My Savoy accordions are built like tanks.

Re: How do you grab your baby?

Mais me, I grab em like this chere.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!