Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: I'm a Newbie to Cajun accordion - help please!

Congratulations on your accordion, Junior makes a fine instrument. We may have rubbed shoulders at his booth, I was there a lot. Check out the link to Augusta's Cajun- Creole week above as one touch point to Cajun music and players.

Hey Linda,
Welcome and congratulations on your new accordion purchase! You're going to have so much fun!!! There is an active group of dancers and musicians here in the SF Bay Area. There are Zydeco dances every Friday night in Alameda at the Eagle's Hall, there are Cajun or Zydeco dances every week usually on Tuesday or Wednesday nights at Ashkenaz in Berkeley. There are jam session in the Bay Area also. Check out the website sfbayou.com and follow the link to Bay Area Calendar to find all of the dances, house parties, Cajun/Zydeco events in the area.
If you are interested in lessons next week or the following week, Jeffery Broussard will be here with his band from Louisiana and he will be giving lessons. They'll be playing in Alameda on Friday, May 18th and I encourage you to go see them! You're welcome to borrow my accordion for the lessons since you won't have yours yet. Jeffery's an excellent accordion player and instructor. You can e-mail me to set up a time for lessons and for sure, you can count on lessons and workshops on Sunday, May 20th in Napa.
Saanen

Re: Re: I'm a Newbie to Cajun accordion - help please!

Saanen,

What a wonderful, generous thing you have offered me! Wow!

I'm really getting the feeling that people who are into this music scene are really great human beings.

I will email you for the details.

Thanks again, Saanen!
Linda

Linda

Check out this band's website. It also gives you info on a great
weekly jam session. Blair and Steve will tell you everything about
the Cajun/Creole scene in northern California.

Best of luck and congrats on your new box.

Gene

Hi Linda,

I sent you an email. For others who might be interested, I organize a beginner/adv. beginner level jam once a month in the Bay Area. Been doing it about 12 years of so, since before I even knew how to play. It was the only way I was going to learn anything.

We sometimes precede the jam with an hour of accordion "breakdown" where someone shows everyone else how to do something on accordion.

I think there's something to be gotten from any jam you can find. I started mine because it was too intimidating to sit in with professional musicians and try to pick something up when no one was "teaching" anything. That was the only jam model going at the time.

So, you have my email address. Hope to hear from you, and anyone else who is interested.

Dwight Shackelford
zydeholic at yahoo dot com

Hey, thanks all!

I've gotten some really good feedback so far and I just wanted to thank all of you for your time and advice.

Hopefully I will be seeing some of you soon!

Best,
Linda

Re: Re: I'm a Newbie to Cajun accordion - help please!

Hello Linda, and welcome to this blog, where people from all over the globe who share the love of Cajun music & culture, and diatonic accordion congregate.

Regarding your question. As a beginner, I would definitely recommend the two DVD (or videos) from Dirk Powell. These are known to be the best tools to start on a solid ground on the technical side.
There are several posts on this forum which will provide you with more details. BTW, what key if your new box? FYI, the most prominent key is C.

Salut et à la prochaine...:-)
Maz

Re: Re: Re: I'm a Newbie to Cajun accordion - help please!

Hi Maz!

My accordion is being made in the key of D. Junior Martin had me sing and determined that C would be too low for me. Do you think that will be a problem if most of these are in the key of C?

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!