Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
a good holler and a good ending!

Just being silly a little bit, but I really like a good holler and a good ending. A piercing cry like Amede Breaux, Octa Clark, and Joe Falcon at a point of high drama and tension really goes over well. I've heard crowds CHEER Octa Clark when he did that. And I like enthusiastic endings: Joe Falcon's "Hold that Tiger!", Don Montoucet's "Right On, Pecan!" Hubert Maitre's "Met les blocks, Adam!," Bois Sec's "Yes Yes," or Cory McCauley's "Yeah, I love what you do for me!"

Re: a good holler and a good ending!

Nuttin silly about the appreciation of a good holler. The Balfa's and Iry to me always had a perfectly placed yell, icing on the cake.

Re: What makes your favorite band/artist your "favorite?"

Many bands/players/singers are so very good that there is a little difference between their playing technical spoken. It's allways a matter of personal taste and what the music is doing with us.
I am a big fan of two dobro players for years.
Jerry Douglas and Mike Auldridge.
In the seventies I prefer Mike, because he didn't play a note to much and every note was on his place.
That litlle things makes if you like one or the other.
It's just a feeling.

Passion!

To me, it's passion!

I love watching the Pine Leaf Boys with their rebellious/bad boys/rock the boat attitude, their yelling, their energetic & creative sound;

I love watching the Mamou Playboys for their tight sound, their creativity, their fantastic technical abilities and their obvious complicity;

I definitely get the frisson factor every time I listen the Ledet sisters singing Grand Mamou & Tit yeux bleux on Jude Moreau's CD;

I admire the Savoy family for the exceptional contribution they have made to the promotion of Cajun culture & music (the family band, sharing knowledge of accordion building techniques, publishing books, facilitating jams to foster group learning and spread the culture, etc.). I always smile when I listen to some of their CDs and hear Ann or Marc greeting some individuals as they walk in the room, and dedicating songs to specific people in the room. Watching Marc Play (or listening to a CD)is like.... Wow!

I also admire bands and artist who contribute to the preservation and promotion of French through their songs.

So I guess the common denominateur is..... PASSION and the LOVE of what they do.

I base my favorites of the style of playing. My favorites are Ray Abshire and Jo-El Sonnier.

Re: Re: What makes your favorite band/artist your "favorite?"

Jo-el is a name that doesnt come up too often, but I agree with you, he is definately at the top of my list, good frisson factor.

My favorite band actively playing are the Pine Leaf Boys because:

--They are passionate, not only about the music but the culture, heritage and history behind it all.

--They are all nice, humble, down to earth guys (well maybe "down to earth" is not the best discription for Jean Bertrand )

--They are young energetic and Wilson is freaking hilarious!

--Multicultural, there are not many creole fiddlers around, but the Pine Leaf Boys have one of the very best in Cedric Watson, which adds a wonderful dimension to their music.

--They are authentic and knowlegable. I love how Wilson will ask trivia questions and give brief history lessons inbetween songs.

--They get the crowd involved, they will ask you to come on stage with them during Zydeco Gris Gris, and if you can play an/or sing Wilson will be more than happy to share the stage with you.

--Each member of the band (maybe with the execption of Jean Bertrand) can play multiple instuments and play them VERY well. And 3 of the 5 members have excellent authentic singing voices.

--THEY FREAKIN ROCK!!!

Re: Re: What makes your favorite band/artist your "favorite?"

Someone has an issue with Jean Bertrand

Re: Re: Re: What makes your favorite band/artist your "favorite?"

no lie!!! by the way it's spelled JON Bertrand

No, I think you guys have me all wrong. I think "Jon" is a great guy from the few times I have met him. I was just poking fun in a friendly kinda of way. Please keep in mind that when I posted this it was only a few days after seeing a Pine Leaf show where Jon was wearing a toga made out of something like a table cloth, lol...

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!