Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Thank You Jr Martin

Sarah,
I would love to see photos of the red pine box. I don't get to see to many different boxes played here in the New Orleans area other than some Falcons & Martins, especially after Katrina & wasn't able to make it out to Jazz Fest this year.

Yep,
What a pretty piece of wood. You never know where you will find something of beauty. We have a lot of old- growth Mesquite in this part of Texas, and many people use the old wood to make some out-a-site gorgeous furniture, rather than just assign it to the Bar-be-que pit. Great grain, with lots of light and dark streaks. Think I will see if I can't locate a pretty piece for my next instrument.
JB

Re: Re: Re: Thank You Jr Martin

I have wondered about mesquite for accordions. Even being a woodworker, I hadnt known about mesquite until I cut down a tree and saw the wood. I brought the whole tree home and have been lugging it around for 12 years waiting for something good to do with it. It checks quite a bit, but I have heard the parts not checked are stable.

Anyone know of mesquite being used for stuff like this. It is a beautiful wood.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Thank You Jr Martin

Bryan you may have to do some resawing but that mesquite would make a beautiful instrumnet. What you need to do is saw it into thick pieces and let it dry and settle some more then cut it down to size for accordions. It may take some planning but you may be able to bookmatch enough pieces for the frames depending on the size of the log.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thank You Jr Martin

I sawed it into 2" slices when I first brought it home and stickered it, where it still sits, easily bookmatched. I made mom and dad a couple of gifts out of it, and started some pistol grips, but mostly it's just been sitting there waiting for the right thing. The checking worries me. In large pieces some of the checking can be hard to notice, but if cut into accordion piece sizes they may show up well enough. I had never considered it for that before this, but it is such a pretty wood and I've never heard of one made out of it. I researched it a little and it is considered a very dense and stable wood between the checks. John, do you have any experience with it?

mesquite

the only thing i could find is that is was used for fenceposts and toolhandles.

i searched for it in my woodbook, but it`s not in there.

Wilfred

Re: mesquite

Can't wait till ya start getting your hands deep in building, Bryan! Love what you did to your HA114! You think you'd keep the "Couillon" brand?! You should post of pic of that. Total greatness...

R!CK

Re: Re: mesquite

I've thought about that. I like the name. It would probably get giggles in Louisiana. Hard to take an accordion called Couillon seriously, but then even if I ever get building them, I doubt if I would try to become a busy builder.

That Couillon sure was shy in the company of such stars.

Re: Thank You Jr Martin

Sarah if it sounds good as it looks, its a fine instrument. Bruce

I don't know. My ear isn't trained to hear the very fine differences, but those who have played it say it sounds better than any he's ever made. I don't know about all that. I know that one guy from Philadelphia ordered one exactly like mine and said it never sounded the same. Dad doesn't understand why that should be. He put the same reeds in as in all the others. But it's very loud and very rich, the action is smooth and easy, and the bellows are very sensitive.

Re: Re: Re: Thank You Jr Martin

Sarah,

why is there a color difference in the 2 pieces of wood covering the "head" end of the keyboard? I ask you because mine has the same and was puzzled by that; and on the opposite end the same, as if the builder kinda mirrored the keyboard piece (where the buttons are in ).

About sound differences, Binci reeds ( like yours I guess) changed from tone last ten years. In Europe they became less popular after the old man retired/died. Some years after his son has taken over it seems to become better again. A Norwegian builder always goes to collect/ select the reeds himself at Binci now, he told. So there must have been a period in which reeds were 'different'.

Gus

Re: Re: Re: Re: Thank You Jr Martin

I don't know about on yours, but that's the padouk on mine. The body is purple heart, with padouk accents in the places you're talking about. I love the contrast of the orange and...what color is that, anyway?...burgundy?

Interesting about the reeds, but there's really no explanation, considering that he used the same in mine that he was using in all the others at the time. Hmm...I don't know. But thanks for that information. I didn't know about that.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thank You Jr Martin

Sarah, I'll send you a picture of what I meant, but first have to take it.

Then you'll understand what I mean.

Gus

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!