Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Nice box Rusty!!!

Way to go! Ya done good!

R!CK

Re: Nice box Rusty!!!

Gorgeous!
I like the name "Heritage".

WOW Rusty!!!

that`s good looking!!!

is that zebrawood on the faceplate?

Wilfred

Re: WOW Rusty!!!

Nice choice of name, Rusty.
Does it feel and sound as good as it looks?

BJ

Re: Re: WOW Rusty!!!

Well as any proud "parent" would say, I think it feels great ! It has not been tuned yet, this picture was it's first trip into the house from the shop after completion. It's sounds like it will sound good if that makes any sense ??? As soon as I can tune it, I will put some vid's on YouTube so that you guys can be the judge. I'm also looking into engraving the facings, my engravings are going to be a bit different from the traditional ones that most people use.

This box will be kept as a demo, my plans are to start doing this fulltime-sideline

Re: WOW Rusty!!!

It's zebrawood. In the picture it looks short and fat but it is the same demensions as all of the other boxes.

Looks like a real one.
Great craftsmans work.
Is she or he already tuned.

Re: Re: Nice box Rusty!!!

That is as pretty as they get. Nice Work and congradulations!
JB

Beautiful job Rusty! How about the specifics? What reeds? Since your box is basically black, what wood did you use? How did you do the logo? Sorry about all the questions but inquiring minds need to know!

Re: Re: Nice box Rusty!!!

Thanks ! It is a "c" with Binci #1's, the wood is a southern maple that is very light colored which I painted black and then put a high gloss clear coat on. The logo is something that I myself created, got on the computer typed out the word and went through about 200 different fonts, bold, italic, etc... once I found what I liked I brought it to a local sign shop and had them create me a set of rub on letters. I am looking into engraving the logo and a design into the corners on the facings, but I had to put something on it for now of course!

Re: Re: Re: Nice box Rusty!!!

Rusty,

I just love the face plate logo design and the "Zebra" wood, at least, it looks like "Zebra" to me.

Interesting choice of " trade mark" name, , proud of your ancestry, so to speak.

I also like it's placement on the plate, as your design of it is not partially hidden by the treble board thickness, as it's the case with so many other boxes.

Of course design frugality is the case, and you and Randy and some other builders understand this.

That's all you want to see, a name.

I have some questions:

What did you use to cap the treble board ends?,can't see it on your pic.

Can you "reveal" your choice of finish, and the black paint and the over coat, and how many applications?.

Also, where did you get the nice black and white decorative marquetry strip?, is it the real Mccoy or just applique?.

Should I ask you about the infamous corners:).

If "they" are,the ones i prefer,that is I could be very interested in doing business with you.

A very interesting first try,as the box looks very professionally made,tight and very compact.

Congratulations, Rusty.

Claude.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Nice box Rusty!!!

Thanks for the comments, I'm happy with it. The undercoat is a black sandable primer, followed by several coats of semi-gloss polyurethane with 2 final coats of the same clear coat that goes on your car. The "inlay" is an applique only because I was more concerned with creating the box than I was on asthetics for this one. My next box will have more asthetics to it for sure and will have real inlay. The corners ARE MITRED !!! The buttons are the same that Randy and Jr. Martin use, 1/2 chrome button which is glued and screwed to the rockers.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!