Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Parlez Nous A Boire

OK, you French speakers. Is the word " travailler" the English equivalent for "work" , "hard-work" or
" hard-journey" and is it pronounced Tra-vah-yay, just like in Ms. Ann's book ? I guess that is where the English "travail" for a tough time, came from. Very fitting.
Thanks,
JB

Re: Parlez Nous A Boire

You're right. Literally, the translation for "travailler" would be "work." So, "Travailler, c'est trop dur, mais voler est pas bon" would be "work is too hard, but stealing is not good."

Your pronunciation is accurate, too.

Jude

Re: Parlez Nous A Boire

Translates to "work", and yes the pronunciation is correct but there is an ever so slight rolling of the tongue when pronouncing that 1st "r". But be careful not to over do the roll of that "r" because like I said it is only slightly rolled. On the Balf Brothers CD "The Balfa Brothers Play Traditional Cajun Music Volume I and II" tract #4 is "Two Step De L'anse A Paille", in the 1st verse of this song (4th word) you can here the proper pronunciation of the word "travailler". If you don't have the song in your collection you can buy it from iTunes for $0.99.

Re: Re: Parlez Nous A Boire

You can download Parlez Nous a Boire by my band, Boiling Bayou, for free on the link above.

/Gunnar

Re: Re: Re: Parlez Nous A Boire

Gunnar,
are you guys decendants of some Vikings who accidentially sailed up the Bayou Teche? Thanks for the link. Really a good, clean, sound. Is that a C accordion playing a A fiddle song?
JB

Re: Re: Re: Re: Parlez Nous A Boire

You've got it.

Travailler = to work (J'aime travailler = I love to work)
Le travail = the work (I love my work = J'aime mon travail - Le travail à accomplir (the work to be accomplished)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Parlez Nous A Boire

Thanks JB !
Yeah, I guess some Vikings got lost in the Louisiana swamps :-) My "Cajun story" began when one of those vikings came back from a trip to the U.S. and began playing Cajun and Zydeco CD's for me, wich he had picked up in New Orleans. Soon I was an addict..

Yep it's a C Acadian on all the songs.

/Gunnar

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!