Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wafus Two-Step

It's the same song, but played by the Landreneaux it sound different.
In Ye Yaille Chere they talk about the version from Aldus Roger and Phillip Alleman.
Aldus Roger called the song also The Waffle Two Step and "Pee Wee Broussard" called it the Pancake two Step.
A related song is the Midway Two Step.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wafus Two-Step

It's the same melody. Unfortunately, Dirk does not let Christine sing the lyrics in the training CD. Tried to Mapquest Walfus, LA. No luck.
JB

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wafus Two-Step

I think the earliest recording under this title was by Milton Molitor with Chuck Guillory's band, but it's probably most closely associated under that title with Aldus Roger. Interesting stuff about waffles and pancakes. I haven't seen a version by Pee Wee Broussard but would like to.

#1 clip on the Arhoolie site for Chuck Guillory. Whole song at link #2. I like Milton Molitor's easy pace on this one.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wafus Two-Step

Marc Savoy also did this on a Smithsonian Folkways album, Cajun Social Music, with the title Tout Ca C'est Dur a Croire (link above).

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wafus Two-Step

Very nice version on this link, Neal!
Thanks

Gus

Re: Wafus Two-Step

Here's a quote by Raymond E. Francois in his book Ye Yaille, Chere, "I have never been able to find an explanation of the name Wafus." Considering the extensive research done by Mr. Francois for the book and the fact that he himself is an accomplished cajun musician, if he doesn't know I don't if we'll ever know.

Re: Re: Wafus Two-Step

Interesting. The best I could find is that walfus is a common typo for walrus.

Re: Re: Re: Wafus Two-Step

Or Waffles, with blackberry or raspberry syrup? Do the lyrics on Neal's site or the Youtube version have anything to do with Breakfast Crepes?
Way out in Left Field.
Anyway, it's a bouncy, happy number that is easy to learn, and should be in everybody's playbook. Just wish I could play it like Marc Savoy. Give me 50 more years.
JB

Re: Re: Re: Re: Wafus Two-Step

I always thought it meant waffles...lol

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!