Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Any buskers?

The link above is to an article about a test the washington post did...

Joshua Bell is one of the world's greatest violinists. His instrument of choice is a multimillion-dollar Stradivarius. If he played it for spare change, incognito, outside a bustling Metro stop in Washington, would anyone notice?

Re: Re: Any buskers?

Mark, thanks for posting the link to the article about Joshua Bell...I was fascinated reading it.

Dale

Re: Re: Re: Any buskers?

Yes, that was pretty interesting. I wonder if anything would have been different if there had been a different kind of music being played.

Wish I could play just good enough to go to a corner and get a few smiles and maybe even few folks to shake it up!

Josh, I live in Lafayette, La. born and raised here. Got away from here between 1967-1969 to help my uncle. Worked here, always between Houston and New Orleans and now retired here. Had a few chances to move but didn't take it.
I took violin lessons for a couple of years while living in Houma. Can't play by memory, only reading music and haven't played it for the last 2-3yrs. I did take the violin out, got it tuned (standard) and will start to play again, soon. You know what they say, "skip practice once, you know it. Don't practice twice or more times and everyone knows it". That's where I am now.
Where are you Josh? Tell us about yourself.

I am also from Lafayette. I live in Ga now, but hoping to move back some day. My momma moved back about 5 years ago, so I visit as much as I can. Sounds like you're close to the same age as my step-dad. If you remember Leger's Meat Market, his family owned it.

Josh, I do remember Leger's Meat Market. What is it that you're doing in Ga.? I bet because of your work, right? This state is not very business friendly. Do you play the accordion or any other instrument? Do you plan on moving back at a later time? Good to hear from you. William

You're right. Work is what's keeping me here. I do plan on moving back one day. Actually I am in the Environmental Consulting business, which might be one of the few businesses that do good in La. I visit family every chance I get so I don't get too lonely for it.

I want to start playing the accordion, that's what originally got me interested in this board. I can sing in French, just need to add the accordion element to it.

Ton Amie

Yes,
Every Friday evening, weather permitting I have a regular busking session, corner of 8th & Mssesecutchets St., Lawrence Ks. The response is great, & if I miss a Friday, I have people come up to me on the street & ask where I was. Of late, I've been joined by a buddy on guitar and a percussionist (washboard & bass drum). Sometimes we get dancers, often times we get little kids dancing. We don't try to do too much singing, due to street, & traffic noise, but what we do, about half is in French. I started doing this a few years ago because I knew that if I dident play out alot, I was never going to get to the playing level I was seeking. It has been a very positive experience.

I busk on occasion at a local Farmer's Market (on Saturday mornings). I've played with some friends and when we play Cajun music, we always get a good reaction (tho' some of the vendors don't particularly like the fact that we draw "their" crowd). I played at the Market last year, as a duo with my fiddlin' buddy Matt. He's a college student and can fiddle like a mad man. We played some waltzes and some folks danced..really cool. Another time, we were playing and a guy from Houma was there. He called his sister on his cell phone, and held it so that she sould hear..yes sister, there is Cajun music outside of Louisiana. We all had a good laugh about that.

Rob K.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!